Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Close Up of Model 3 Interior Looks Like Previous Close Ups

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]A new photo of a Model 3 release candidate surfaced over the weekend that suggests the production version of the interior won’t differ much from what we saw when the car was unveiled more than a year ago.

The new photo (above) was posted to the Tesla Model 3 Facebook Group by Thomas Preisler. It shows the closest detail to date of the interior of a Model 3 in the wild and confirms much of what we already knew.

The interior will be incredibly minimalistic, featuring a single screen in the middle of the dash for all instruments and controls. A thin vent will stretch the length of the dash. A center console will provide storage and cup holders.

Below is a screenshot of from Tesla’s video from the Model 3 unveiling in March 2016.[/vc_column_text][us_single_image image=”1672″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
I like everything about the car except the infotainment just hanging like that is a bumper- wish it's embedded like model S & X and slightly turned towards the driver-since that's we have.
I wish it was embedded and smaller and accompanied by physical buttons and knobs, but I actually prefer perfect symmetry for some reason, like in my old Infiniti G35. It feels classier to me. I don't like car cockpits like the corvette where the dash and instrumentation is all built around the driver.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kutu and JeffK
Compare it to what EV1 looked like in 1996.
ev1dash.PNG

EV1dash2.PNG

A new photo of a Model 3 release candidate surfaced over the weekend that suggests the production version of the interior won’t differ much from what we saw when the car was unveiled more than a year ago.

The new photo (above) was posted to the Tesla Model 3 Facebook Group by Thomas Preisler. It shows the closest detail...

[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/05/30/close-up-of-model-3-interior-looks-like-previous-close-ups/"]READ ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Wow, that interior and screen is ugly. My wife wants me to cancel our reservation but I'm holding out that Tesla will make changes.

Wow, that interior and screen is ugly. My wife wants me to cancel our reservation but I'm holding out that Tesla will make changes.

Most likely there will be very little changes if any. But the design is supposed to be minimalist. Your wife needs to understand that and you should explain that to her. If her expectation is for Tesla Model 3 to match amenities of other cars similarly built in the price range, she's looking at the wrong amenities at this time. Perhaps many years later the Model 3 will receive more amenities just as the Tesla Model S has changed over time (read: years). But the middle and single screen in the middle will most likely stay as designed.

Most likely there will be very little changes if any. But the design is supposed to be minimalist. Your wife needs to understand that and you should explain that to her. If her expectation is for Tesla Model 3 to match amenities of other cars similarly built in the price range, she's looking at the wrong amenities at this time. Perhaps many years later the Model 3 will receive more amenities just as the Tesla Model S has changed over time (read: years). But the middle and single screen in the middle will most likely stay as designed.

Minimalist doesn't and shouldn't equal ugly. I actually LOVE the interior, and the sleek lines ...... until you get to the large display jutting out like it was just glued on a day ago. It literally kills all the lines inside the car - it's a nightmare aesthetically.

Elon is a genius and a true artist at heart who clearly pays a lot of attention to detail and aesthetics... so I very highly doubt he will leave the display unenclosed and jutting out like that.

Last edited:
"Minimalist" and "ugly" are two different things. I own a Model S so I get and understand the minimalist concept but a screen just hanging off the dashboard isn't going to cut it for either of us. It cheapens it considerably so there's no need for me to explain anything to my wife that I don't believe in myself. If she wanted ugly I'd have her look at the Bolt. I really thought that after all the feedback Elon would have changed the screen and hatchback but I guess it adds too much cost or complexity right now. Too bad.

The reaction to the reveal is going to be more informative than the reveal itself. :)

I agree. During the reveal not much was said about the interior. The Tesla site today has no photos of the M3 interior, except as part of a long shot of the entire vehicle. Makes me think it's either going to change, or Tesla doesn't want to focus on it as a selling point. My first impression of the display was that it’s a prototype device to be used until the interior design was finished. Maybe the large number of reservations told Tesla the design is fine as-is. Personally I'm OK with it, as this car is a paradigm shift. Likely we'll look back at today's ICE cars and be amused over the array of gauges and buttons.

A vocal minority on the forum would make it seem the best way to anti-sell the Model 3 would be just to reveal the interior.

The dash isn't even on my radar of things I, or my wife, care about...so we don't really understand the negative response it's getting. Of course, everyone has different priorities, but I'm fairly confident that if the dash remains unchanged the Model 3 will sell quite well.

Every time I read a couple posts in these threads about the supposedly disappointing interior or the need to turn one's head a few degrees to see the speed, this video starts playing in my head...
I can relate to the wifi not reaching the entire house. The struggle is real.

In other news, I donate to solar projects in Africa so I'm allowed to complain about my wifi.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I like it too. The 15 inch touch screen alone make it better than anything out there but the model s or model x

The Germans make better looking interiors for sure but it's not user friendly at all. Kind of like using a blackberry over an iPhone.

I am trying to understand why the OP linked to an "Article" page called a "blog" instead of creating a thread. Comments are allowed on the "blog" page and the comment section quickly turned into the exact same discussion about the Model 3 interior that has occurred in multiple threads over the past 14 months since the Model 3 reveal.

What makes that a blog? Why not just start a thread?

The times when Model S didnt even have parking sensors. xD Not that you really need them in america anyways.