Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closed garage door and scratched my bumper - Best way to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, google searching brought me here with hope all the experts can give me some advices!
I closed the garage door and the metal bar sticking out scratch my model 3 in the front middle:((
I really have no idea what’s the best and saving solution to fix this.
Please if anyone experienced this give me some idea. I included the pics of 2 scratches.
Very appreciate!

Attachments

• 2AD7EB42-BB80-46F9-9F7D-F9B7AF9AEA51.jpeg
    2AD7EB42-BB80-46F9-9F7D-F9B7AF9AEA51.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 380
  • 789E7C18-4AEA-43B7-B5A5-7DCFC3D3E9DC.jpeg
    789E7C18-4AEA-43B7-B5A5-7DCFC3D3E9DC.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 327
If you want to really fix that it'll need to be painted at a shop and blended to match. There are mobile painters that tackle little bumper fixes like this, some are better than others. A reputable body shop will take care of it but don't be surprised to pay $1000 to $1500 for a repaint. Or if you just want to make it look "better" then a bottle of touch up paint will do the trick.

Upvote 0
Yes I saw it but I am not sure if it works cause the scratch is a little bit big
For $60 DIY give it a try, then work your way up in cost\effort (mobile paint repair, bumper re-spray, etc)

And depends on your level of perfection, if average then DIY, if at OCD level then bumper re-spray or even a full car paint job if the bumper re-spray doesn't blend well enough with the hood and fender

Also if you're wanting a different color in the future then let the battle scars accumulate until you're ready for a new color

Reactions: 1965Falcon
Upvote 0
I guess you don't have a lot to lose by trying a touchup pen or brush. I'd give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? You need to get at least the bumper repainted which you'd have to do anyway.

Another thought. If you were ever considering a wrap... that's another option to cover it up. Expensive unless you were considering that anyway.

Mike

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, google searching brought me here with hope all the experts can give me some advices!
I closed the garage door and the metal bar sticking out scratch my model 3 in the front middle:((
I really have no idea what’s the best and saving solution to fix this.
Please if anyone experienced this give me some idea. I included the pics of 2 scratches.
Very appreciate!
Are you sure the black marks shown in your pic is missing paint versus the rubber seal from the bottom of the garage that transferred onto your bumper?

If the spot is raised above the surrounding area then it's probably rubber seal transfer onto your bumper that can be removed with a hair dryer and your finger nail, if the spot is recessed then what we're seeing is the bumper material minus paint.

Upvote 0
Wow and i thought i was the only one. Same boat here - closed the garage door on the nose of the bumper. Went through ppf and left a scratch and a gouge no dent. Got a pen and clearcoat, practiced on a few tiny chips which didn't look perfect but are super tiny so no problem. Now I'm giving it a shot on the bumper and ready to throw in the towel and take it in for an estimate. Difficult to fill gouged area with paint and no confidence my clearcoat will be decent. Its such a visible spot hard not to get it fixed properly and my paint skills don't seem good.

Do we have enough folks to start a support group lol?
Kicker is that i had the car in the garage to apply ceramic coat. I had just finished the front of the car and turned it around to work on the back when this happened. On a positive note I'm decent at applying ceramic coatings.

Upvote 0