Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closer following distance with new SW update [teslavision radarless model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rarely even use 3 in no-radar land, because I drive So Cal freeways, and every time I drive over the grapevine (between LA and Bakersfield), I get enough crap bouncing off my car that I expect my PPF will look like swiss cheese at some point. I do my best to not follow or even get behind trucks, but still plenty of pebbles, glass shards, tire chunks, and various & sundry other junk is always getting airborne.

I rarely even use 3 in no-radar land, because I drive So Cal freeways, and every time I drive over the grapevine (between LA and Bakersfield), I get enough crap bouncing off my car that I expect my PPF will look like swiss cheese at some point. I do my best to not follow or even get behind trucks, but still plenty of pebbles, glass shards, tire chunks, and various & sundry other junk is always getting airborne.
Not sure what SoCal freeways you're driving on haha - all I can say is the 101 and 405 I wish I had negative following distance, otherwise you just get cut off every two seconds because the car isn't nearly aggressive enough for traffic driving out here

Not sure what SoCal freeways you're driving on haha - all I can say is the 101 and 405 I wish I had negative following distance, otherwise you just get cut off every two seconds because the car isn't nearly aggressive enough for traffic driving out here
That’s definitely an issue and I do a lot of preemptive gap-closing to discourage the cutting off.

At what impossible time do you drive the 405 & 101 that you can go fast enough to damage the finish on the front of your car from flying debris? lol

I just got software 2021.4.21.3 pushed to my 2021 M3P yesterday. With my TeslaVision (radarless) car, I can now set the following distance down to 2. Previously, it would only go down to 3. While I'm still wanting 1 for some highway situations, this is a huge improvement.

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, so I thought I'd share.

It's an improvement, but it still does not speed up as fast as it needs to in order to avoid being "that guy" when things start to open up... It slows down correctly, but does not actually follow correctly when the car in front finds the go pedal.

BTW I noticed that the AP speed limit increased to 80mph after upgrade. It was 75 previously

80MPH on autopilot was an update before this one for me... Perhaps you were >2 updates behind.

Reactions: Sackmonkey