Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing Charge Port Door Manually?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I wash the car, while hosing it off, the charge port door opens. Not crazy about that, but here's my question: I can closing it manually, by pushing it down. It registers that and closes on its own, but it doesn't feel right. That is, it feels as if I might break it.

Should I instead open the door and closing it through the display screen?

The charge port can be pressed to pop it open. its likely you are directing water at the chargeport area, which is activating it to pop open. Dont direct streams of water at the chargeport when you are washing it, if you are doing that.

It will close on its own, if you wait a bit. I wouldnt push on it to close it, I would either use my phone or the screen in the car to close it. It feels a bit flimsy to push on it to close it, to me.

OPENING it however, it is designed to be opened by pressing on the bottom edge of it, so thats not an issue, and like I said above, is probably why its opening when you are washing your car.

Reactions: Gasaraki and RTPEV
I've had this happen. Ever since my charge port door was replaced a year ago, the slightest tap or bump opens it. I've closed it by tapping as lightly as possible on the door until it closed, but I never felt good about doing that.

This is one of the most annoying issues I have with my Tesla! I have opened the charge port door over 100 times by pushing on it. Exactly zero of them have been intentional or desired. It is the worst feature and I wish it could be disabled (without locking whole the car).

If I have a charger in hand I am going to push the button on the charger cable to open the port - always. If for some reason I'm not using a Tesla charger then I'd just use the app. No need to ever push the charge door and then feel like you're going to break it when you try to close it.

-OD

This is one of the most annoying issues I have with my Tesla! I have opened the charge port door over 100 times by pushing on it. Exactly zero of them have been intentional or desired. It is the worst feature and I wish it could be disabled (without locking whole the car).

If I have a charger in hand I am going to push the button on the charger cable to open the port - always. If for some reason I'm not using a Tesla charger then I'd just use the app. No need to ever push the charge door and then feel like you're going to break it when you try to close it.

-OD
No, please no. The touch to open is needed because the buttons don't always work and no one wants to go the to screen to open the port door.

-OD
There's a little magnet attached to the rear of the charge port door. If you remove the magnet the "tap to open" functionality goes away.