Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing Front Door in non-PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmunjal

Aug 17, 2012
Is it supposed to be hard to close the front (driver and passenger) doors manually? It seems to require a great deal of effort to close. Is this normal or is something broken? It closes perfectly when I'm inside and put my foot on the brake.

Okay, I'm confused.. If it closes it for you with the brake, shouldn't it close it 'for you' when you close it almost all the way? Mine (with PUP) takes over and closes it the last half inch....

I assume that's what you mean, and not the actual force to swing the door shut from full open?

I think PUP is different. It doesn't close automatically for me obviously as I walk away. I have to close it manually it and there's a definite pushback on the door at the halfway position. It requires me to push it a bit harder to force it to close all the way. It doesn't seem natural.

As far as I know manual closing works the same, PUP or non-PUP. I don't feel any pushback while closing (opening, yes). I only use a light push to close it. It does the final latching itself. Easiest car door I've ever had. I'd have service look at your door.

I think PUP is different. It doesn't close automatically for me obviously as I walk away. I have to close it manually it and there's a definite pushback on the door at the halfway position. It requires me to push it a bit harder to force it to close all the way. It doesn't seem natural.
I agreed with you.

But the way I close it is to pull the door handle inside the car once when I was outside the car. It will close the door for you automatically. U will have enough time to pull back your hand. Another option is to hit your remote button 3 times. It will close all the doors for U.

I hardly need to close my door manually.

BTW, mine is a non-PUP X

Is it supposed to be hard to close the front (driver and passenger) doors manually? It seems to require a great deal of effort to close. Is this normal or is something broken? It closes perfectly when I'm inside and put my foot on the brake.

No, it shouldn't be hard to close. But can you clarify?

- Is it hard to move the door open and close while swinging?
- Or do you mean it's hard to get the door to come to complete close/latch?

On a non-PUP the door will still soft pull itself closed once it has latched. If you're having difficulty getting it to that latching point it could be that your trim is misaligned or door latch is misaligned. If you're referring to the swinging motion being difficult, you may have a worn or broken door motor (or sensor) that is adding resistance. You should be able to swing the door using a pinky, it is assisted PUP or non-PUP.

Took it in and Tesla says it's normal. The resistance is there because the sensors think there is an obstruction. I'm going to start using the inside handle to close the door on the way out now.

Took it in and Tesla says it's normal. The resistance is there because the sensors think there is an obstruction. I'm going to start using the inside handle to close the door on the way out now.

Does the door auto close on non-PUP? With the PUP, I never have to open or close or touch the driver door at all. When I walk away from the car, the driver door will auto close and lock the car.

Does the door auto close on non-PUP? With the PUP, I never have to open or close or touch the driver door at all. When I walk away from the car, the driver door will auto close and lock the car.

On a PUP it pops itself open upon approach and slams itself shut when you leave based on key fob detection.

On a non-PUP, we get the closing action when we are getting into the car and step on the brake. But it does not do the same as we walk away. It will do it if we pull out the key fob and hit the top 3x (if enabled in settings) but there’s no way to get it to auto open.

In addition to the motorized swinging motion, there’s a slow close feature. If you close your door it will leave maybe half an inch, and then pull itself closed slowly the rest of the way.

• Informative
Reactions: Need