Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is closing the frunk as difficult as it appears? The owners manual sure makes it seem complicated and even scary with regard to damaging it if not done "properly". Where TO touch.... Where NOT to touch.... It also really seems like you would have to get fingerprints or hand prints (and away from the edge) in order to close the frunk properly? I know that I try to touch certain non-obvious areas or edges on my current vehicle to avoid these fingerprints/hand prints. Anyone have first hand experience?
Screenshot_20171124-104446_1.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
the earlier Model S frunks are prone to bending if closed improperly

True!

Improper use of Autopilot can lead to accidents.

Kitchen knives can cause injuries.

Hot stoves can cause severe burns...

Of course, Tesla can spend some extra money and install a motorized hood instead of this current manual one.

But, someone needs to persuade Tesla to implement that design.

Last edited:
True!

Improper use of Autopilot can lead to accidents.

Kitchen knives can cause injuries.

Hot stoves can cause severe burns...

Of course, Tesla can spend some extra money and install a motorized hood instead of this current manual one.

But, someone needs to persuade Tesla to implement that design.

i believe it was against some kind of regulation that they couldn't do a motorized frunk

honestly i would prefer the older generation hoods where you drop it from 3 or so feet and it closes shut

So you can't just drop the hood like every car ever? I see it says not to close with one hand, but dropping means NO hands. Yes?

-Randy
There isn't enough weight for this to work, and there is also a seal there that has to be compressed to keep water and dirt out of the frunk. ICE hoods don't have to be sealed.

I just don't put things in there that need to be accessed often, like tools and extension cords and charging adapters. On long trips, the frunk is filled to the brim with stuff.

Tesla associate who delivered my car used one hand directly over the latch. My frunk will not close with the two hand method in the manual. I’ve had my feet off the ground without out closing the latch. With one hand over the latch you can feel the latches slip over. No hood flex. Don’t know why someone deleted my previous post, but this is the only way you can close my frunk.

So you can't just drop the hood like every car ever? I see it says not to close with one hand, but dropping means NO hands. Yes?

-Randy

If it is like the S there are two latches, so dropping the hood won't latch both.

It's not hard in practice, I just light close it until the first latch catches, then do the firm wide spaced hands press to hook the 2nd latch.

And I never let aomeone else so it, although showing off my frunk is part of my standard "tour"

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I always put groceries in my frunk, because in my tight garage there isn't enough room to open the hatchback (it would hit a shelf). With my hands full of groceries I have perfected using one hand plus my rump to close the frunk. It definitely can't be done just with one hand, though. I saw a video of the Model 3 that made the frunk closing look smoother, though.

I always put groceries in my frunk, because in my tight garage there isn't enough room to open the hatchback (it would hit a shelf). With my hands full of groceries I have perfected using one hand plus my rump to close the frunk. It definitely can't be done just with one hand, though. I saw a video of the Model 3 that made the frunk closing look smoother, though.

I was going to mention the “two cheek” closing method, but decided not to, LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: Vern Padgett