Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing Model Y doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just got delivery this past weekend. Pretty happy with everything overall. The main issue I have is that I have to really slam the doors to get the to close completely. Otherwise it just half closes. Is this normal/common/known?

I find it a little awkward that you can't hold the handle when closing the door. You have to push on the body of the door. Holding the handle out will not allow it to latch.
That seems awkward to pull out the handle while closing it, almost like an extra unnecessary step. I remember that being a feature of cars from the 90's to close a door and keep it locked after closing (versus automatically unlocking when closing to prevent accidental key lock in).

Reactions: Zebelkhan
Now I'm running through the muscle memory of closing a car door, something I do every day. Do I close it with the handle? I don't believe so.

That seems awkward to pull out the handle while closing it, almost like an extra unnecessary step. I remember that being a feature of cars from the 90's to close a door and keep it locked after closing (versus automatically unlocking when closing to prevent accidental key lock in).

If I open a door, say for someone else, and I don't let go of the handle and then try to close the door it won't latch.

Or if you let go of the handle right before it slams it also won't latch.

It's all electric actuators. It should just release when you first pull the handle and then reset to latching position even if you continue to hold the handle out.

Thanks for everyone’s insight. I am scheduling service to have this addressed. I have had new cars before and never had this issue. I noticed pushing the top corner of the door body will help but the amount of force I am applying is twice that of my previous car.

Thanks for everyone’s insight. I am scheduling service to have this addressed. I have had new cars before and never had this issue. I noticed pushing the top corner of the door body will help but the amount of force I am applying is twice that of my previous car.
I would actually advise against a service call. Give it a month to see if things improve. Why? Because I experienced the same thing when we picked up our Y last August. Everything was perfect on the car, except for needing extra force to close some of the doors.

I immediately scheduled a service visit and a mobile ranger came to our house to make adjustments. He was really nice and helpful but to adjust one of the doors he actually put his weight on the door frame. I didn’t really like that but it happened so fast. The doors did close easier after that but during the visit I also learned I was holding onto the handle too long and that in itself was preventing the door from closing. Once I realized that I sort of felt like the mobile visit was unnecessary. On top of that, as time passed I felt the rear doors became even easier to close with repeated use. Worst though is looking in the driver’s side mirror and noticing the edge of the rear door is now oh-so-slightly misaligned by 1/8” with the contours of the rest of the car — enough for my OCD to notice it every time.

Short version: Wait for the doors to get easier on their own before you have mobile service touch an otherwise perfect car.

I would actually advise against a service call. Give it a month to see if things improve. Why? Because I experienced the same thing when we picked up our Y last August. Everything was perfect on the car, except for needing extra force to close some of the doors.

I immediately scheduled a service visit and a mobile ranger came to our house to make adjustments. He was really nice and helpful but to adjust one of the doors he actually put his weight on the door frame. I didn’t really like that but it happened so fast. The doors did close easier after that but during the visit I also learned I was holding onto the handle too long and that in itself was preventing the door from closing. Once I realized that I sort of felt like the mobile visit was unnecessary. On top of that, as time passed I felt the rear doors became even easier to close with repeated use. Worst though is looking in the driver’s side mirror and noticing the edge of the rear door is now oh-so-slightly misaligned by 1/8” with the contours of the rest of the car — enough for my OCD to notice it every time.

Short version: Wait for the doors to get easier on their own before you have mobile service touch an otherwise perfect car.
When my MY was first delivered I noticed that the driver's door when closed stuck out maybe 1-2 mm more, not being flush with the body. I made a mobile service appointment and the guy came out and adjusted the striker plate and now it's perfect. Took all of 30 seconds for him to do so. Yes, the doors on the MY require a firm "slam" which is more force than my other cars required. I think it has to do with the frameless windows and the window seals in order to have a tight fit.

I agree with the other posters on holding off on a service appointment. I've had two model Y's now with "tight" doors. My wife's Mercedes GLC was delivered like that as well. On the first Model Y, I had the passenger door adjusted by service and it made it way easier to close but then the door stuck out a good 5mm from the body and the window started creaking. I had to bring it back to get adjusted a second time and the creak never went away. My second Model Y and wife's GLC both improved after about 1 month to where it required normal closing force without any sort of adjustment. Now it's probably "just right".

Your other cars are not a tight seal. Teslas are semi amphibous thus the seals are designed to prevent water from entering. :rolleyes:

Ok, I guess I will wait on the service request. The fit and alignments are really good and everything is flush. I would hate for that to change considering I am probably one of the lucky ones. I mean there is maybe a 2-3 mm asymmetric gap of the rear hatch where it becomes flush with the roof, but you gotta be really looking for it to notice it. On delivery day they said it was within soec. If I didn’t happen to go by a delivery checklist, I would not have noticed it. None of the family members who have seen the car so far also noticed it. So pretty happy about the fit and finish.