Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing of Hood Resulting in Damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No flame, but my Acura NSX has aluminum also, and the procedure for closing the engine compartment and the trunk are very similar to the Tesla. So, it isn't the only one. Maybe they should both be re-engineered. Bottom line, when I take the NSX to anyone who needs trunk access I give them a little lesson on the subject. I have found that they are so impressed by the car that they are more than happy to comply.

I have owned two NSXs over the years and yes there was a known technique to close the trunk and front - but in my opinion these panels were much more stiff and felt more sturdy. Probably weighed more too. And I don't recall anyone having a creasing problem.

The frunk aluminum panel uses thin gauge aluminum. It's remarkable how springy the center of the panel feels (say when you're cleaning it). The other issue is that's it's a flat panel with no significant creases that would add to the rigidity. The NSX front hood had crease lines which stiffened the entire panel.