TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Closing the console lid too rough warning?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by iwannam3, May 29, 2018.

1. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

If you close the console lid too briskly, you get a warning on the screen! Did they run a sensor and wiring and computer code to train us to gently close the console lid? Who said in a meeting "I think we need a velocity sensor on the console lid latch to detect and nag about closing the lid to vigorously."? Did they think it would save money by reducing console lid warranty claims? Is it some kind of sick Easter egg? I do it all the time to show off the Tesla nanny state to passengers. I tell them Elon cares so much about this car, he wants me to treat it nicely. I'm almost afraid to slam the glovebox door, they might make me re-boot the car as punishment.

• Funny x 1
  2. buddhra

buddhra Member

Keep it up and he'll report you for auto abuse.

• Funny x 1
  3. eli_

eli_ Member

It's a testament to the insane amount of electronics integration in these cars. Like with any normal automaker it would just be a simple circuit that turns the light and off when the console lid switch is turned on. But with Tesla it's wired into the main computer for some reason. And with that warning message I can almost hear the engineers boasting, "look what we can do!" Same thing with the fact that pushing the car's horn temporarily pauses the music that's playing, insane amounts of integration.

4. souslik

souslik Member

There's no wire. It's the neural net watching you through the cabin camera getting tired of you fumbling with the console lid.

• Funny x 3
  5. 0ptions

0ptions Member

Perhaps it's intended for future ride sharing so you will know if someone has opened your console?

6. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Pertinent scene at 24:45 in:

7. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I approve of this reference :D