Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing the frunk with one hand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
Did you guys see this? I so want to do this all the time, but am a scaredy cat.

Starts at 8:42:

The frunk seems so fragile and difficult to close, I don't use it. Plus whatever you are getting out, you have to set on the ground so you can close the trunk in 2 or 3 tries.

(I also don't use the glove box, as it is just easier to keep handy items in the center console.)

Reactions: house9
Well... the owners manual explicitly says do NOT do that. So I wouldn't. I think closing with one hand increases chances of denting your hood.

1645251908288.png

After reading the manual, I decided to limit frunk usage. I applied a coat of wax ahead of winter which made me realize how fragile the material was. Too much pressure removing the wax could cause minor dents/damage. Plenty of storage elsewhere.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Literally millions of cars out there with aluminum hoods, that get slammed down every which way and you never see them damaged. Why in the world did Tesla not put ONE extra pound of Aluminum into reinforcing the front center area? Especially when you consider a hood is opened perhaps monthly on an ICE, but some Tesla owners may want to use their frunk daily.

Literally millions of cars out there with aluminum hoods, that get slammed down every which way and you never see them damaged. Why in the world did Tesla not put ONE extra pound of Aluminum into reinforcing the front center area? Especially when you consider a hood is opened perhaps monthly on an ICE, but some Tesla owners may want to use their frunk daily.
and monthly is a stretch. I think I open the hood on my PHEV once a year for an oil change. MAYBE to add wiper fluid, but thats rare.

I think the fragility is a big part of the reason power frunks are popular. Most of my car's, I'd just drop the hood from a decent enough height and it would fully latch, no need to actually press on it.

I don't understand Tesla's recommendation, I close the frunk one handed exclusively. The latch is directly underneath the emblem so if you're careful you can put all the force on the latch and very little on the hood itself.

Simply lay the frunk down to its end of travel, place one hand on top of the Tesla logo, and then push down firmly.
I know I saw a message that said Tesla made adjustments on the late 2021 production of Tesla hoods...do I remember where I saw that ...no..was it a dream I had...maybe, but I don't think so.
Again, my Model 3 was produced late 2021..

I don't understand Tesla's recommendation, I close the frunk one handed exclusively. The latch is directly underneath the emblem so if you're careful you can put all the force on the latch and very little on the hood itself.
This is exactly how I have closed my former 2015 Model S, my wife's 3 and my Y. Not from the height that dude did it, but bring it all the way down, and then the final click with one hand below the emblem.

Prior to getting my 2022 M3LR I saw this video:
And picked up the struts and the 'lighter spring'.
Then I got the car and found the spring mechanism is totally different (per this thread). I wondered if anyone has found a way to replace the new 'heavy spring' with a lighter one?
I see this is for the Model 3, is there anything similar for the Model Y? I don't really want the powered Frunk, as I have seen the posts about the motor failing, but for it to just open like this would be great.

Someone said "push firmly". You don't need that much force. Let the hood down then apply a little bit of downward force, increasing until you hear it latching. Spread your hand as wide as possible to distribute the force, or use two hands. It really doesn't need all your weight on it.

Reactions: OxBrew
Someone said "push firmly". You don't need that much force. Let the hood down then apply a little bit of downward force, increasing until you hear it latching. Spread your hand as wide as possible to distribute the force, or use two hands. It really doesn't need all your weight on it.
There is variability among cars per the stops and latching mechanism adjustments. Mine definitely needs a firm push.

Reactions: GtiMart