Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing Two Front Doors - Need to slam it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted some pictures in another thread, but here's my list.

1. Two rubber stops under the front frunk hood are missing.
2. A noticeable gap between plastic trim and front window toward the driver's side.
3. Interior roof trim is not flush above the rear passenger's side.
4. Both side view mirrors are not flush with the car.
5. Rattle at high speeds (45+) toward the driver's side vent area.
5. Two front doors require a significant push to close properly.

Both mine and my friend's Telsa have this problem. Both cars are a week old.

I noticed it during delivery and the service tech was there addressing some other issues and said you just have to slam it. He didn't seem to think it was unusual, but it is.

Yesterday I got in the car after a rain, started the car and turned on the windshield wipers and got drenched because the door hadn't closed all the way. It's annoying and I'm hoping it gets better.

This reminds me of a story I heard (this is more of a joke than a response to the OP, so feel free to skip).

Mercedes built a new factory and as part of it, as the cars came down the line a laser would measure the door opening dimensions, they had racks and racks of doors and a robot would go grab the perfect fitting door to install.

Toyota representatives were visiting the factory and the Mercedes employees were very proud of this new innovation on the assembly line and described it in great detail to the Toyota reps. At the end of the tour one of the Mercedes employee asked Toyota if they would consider installing something like that on their assembly line and the Toyota reps all said, "No. No way". Perplexed the Mercedes employee asked "Why not?", to which one of the Toyota reps replied, "We make all our doors the same size".

This reminds me of a story I heard (this is more of a joke than a response to the OP, so feel free to skip).

Mercedes built a new factory and as part of it, as the cars came down the line a laser would measure the door opening dimensions, they had racks and racks of doors and a robot would go grab the perfect fitting door to install.

Toyota representatives were visiting the factory and the Mercedes employees were very proud of this new innovation on the assembly line and described it in great detail to the Toyota reps. At the end of the tour one of the Mercedes employee asked Toyota if they would consider installing something like that on their assembly line and the Toyota reps all said, "No. No way". Perplexed the Mercedes employee asked "Why not?", to which one of the Toyota reps replied, "We make all our doors the same size".

Somewhat related, but I came across this thread on Reddit about Toyota and their near-OCD approach when it comes to consistency and reliability. There's a reason virtually everyone associates "Toyota" with "Reliable."

What is it about Toyota that makes them so reliable? : cars

Just give the doors time. During my first few weeks of ownership I was freaking out about the same and a "sage old adviser" from the land of the Model S chimed in and said it was simply a robust rubber door seal that needed to compress a little. Sure enough after 4-6 weeks it slowed and today after 3 months it's a completely non-existent issue. As I've learned with most issues on my Model 3 in particular those related to the software - Relax and enjoy the ride. Someone else is working on the fix!