Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing windows with FOB ?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We already have a remarkable number of things happening from that little remote, and the method they usually use for windows if currently how summon starts.

Rather than add yet another code for drivers to memorize and risking accidental activation again, I vote for options on the phone app - at least an "open all" and "close all".

Reactions: MTOman and faktor
Interesting... not having "all" cars, I have never had a vehicle with "close all windows". Open all, yes--never close all for safety reasons.
Had Lincolns, Audi's, Fisker, Karma, Jaguars, Lexus etc. They had Open all function typically by pressing and holding the door open button on the FOB.

Please enlighten me on a what other's experiences are.

Interesting... not having "all" cars, I have never had a vehicle with "close all windows". Open all, yes--never close all for safety reasons.
Had Lincolns, Audi's, Fisker, Karma, Jaguars, Lexus etc. They had Open all function typically by pressing and holding the door open button on the FOB.

MB has it - you press and hold the lock button (or touch pad) on the door handle and all windows are rolled up.

It would have to be fob feature, it couldn't be an app feature.
You'd have to at least have the presumption of line-of-sight, otherwise it would be too dangerous to activate remotely in case someone (child) got caught in the closing window.
That could be remedied by a resistance sensor, but I don't think that hardware is in cars as yet.

It would have to be fob feature, it couldn't be an app feature.
You'd have to at least have the presumption of line-of-sight, otherwise it would be too dangerous to activate remotely in case someone (child) got caught in the closing window.
That could be remedied by a resistance sensor, but I don't think that hardware is in cars as yet.

??? I'm pretty sure all modern cars with power windows have a resistance detection/pinch prevention feature built in.

There are app features that only function when it detects the fob as well (Summon), though I believe some of the third party apps bypass that limit somehow.

Reactions: Softwizard
Unfortunately, so are little kids' fingers. I agree that it would be nice, but the decision was apparently made that the risks of remotely closing windows does not warrant the convenience. It's not an oversight. It's a judgment call.
Power windows is not a guillotine, you know. All power windows are equipped with resistance sensors which cases window to roll back down half way (I'm sure most experienced this), so what "risks" are you talking about?
It's not an oversight. It's a judgment call.
- how do you know? Unless you know some privy information, you dont know if it was a judgement call or an oversight, or, maybe, it's in development.

Reactions: Softwizard

In the case of BMW, you cannot do it unless you code it (with a computer) to allow it. It's probably allowed in other countries but not in the US.

??? I'm pretty sure all modern cars with power windows have a resistance detection/pinch prevention feature built in.

There are app features that only function when it detects the fob as well (Summon), though I believe some of the third party apps bypass that limit somehow.
Unfortunately small fingers don't always offer enough resistance. You can test this yourself with your pinkie if you're game.
It's because there's actually quite a lot of resistance in closing the window even if unobstructed, and that amount of resistance varies through the closing process, and varies depending on how wet or dirty the seals and window are.
Without new hardware the only safe option is to force the agent to be within sight (or screaming distance) of the car. Sure you could lock the app function to require fob in range. I'd probably just use the fob if that were required.