Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cloth or Leather seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like others, I really like the cloth seats in person. I chose leather primarily because, at the time (summer 2012) the cloth seats weren't heated and lacked adjustable lumbar support, and you were forced to get the piano black decor. Today? I'd save that $1,500 without thinking twice.

I have the black textile seats and like them a lot. It would be nice if they had heaters, but heaters were added after my car was produced. Tessie has almost 9000 miles and is 11 mo. old. I have no regrets. They don't feel cold in cold weather and are more interesting looking in person than anyone expects. I was asked to show them off at the Seattle sales facility, since they didn't have any car on hand except with leather seats. I believe both couples who were uncertain which to order chose the textile seats. The leather looks lovely, but for me the textile seats were an easy choice that I continue to be happy with.

I just go my MS 2 days ago and it has black textile. It's the first time I've ever had black interior and the first non-leather seats I've had in over a decade. I decided to try dark textile as I have 3 kids who wore down my last car's tan leather seats. I had never seen the black textile prior to ordering. I'm extremely happy with the textile. They are soft but feel well made. There are baseball stitched accents in the car to make it all feel high end. The seat warmers work GREAT. I was really worried about the interior and, at least so far, I couldn't be happier. Of course, I have no idea how they'll hold up over time.

Our last 3 cars had leather, except for the R-class which had very nice, indestructible MB-Tex vinyl.
We plan on keeping the Model S for at least 10 years, so we got the cloth for longevity and are VERY happy with the decision. The heated seats get very hot on #3, quickly!

I would have gotten cloth had seat heaters and 12way been offered when I purchased my Model S. However, I would sure like them in some other colour than black. My experience with leather in the past has been very poor. In general, three years and leather seats are trash. I really don't know why car buyers insist on them.

I ordered grey leather. I do not care for the look and feel of cloth seats especially black. I find leather easier to keep clean. If you wipe it down with leather conditioner/cleaner once a week it will last the life of the car. The key is to not let it dry out...

I would have gotten cloth had seat heaters and 12way been offered when I purchased my Model S. However, I would sure like them in some other colour than black. My experience with leather in the past has been very poor. In general, three years and leather seats are trash. I really don't know why car buyers insist on them.

+1, I hope tan cloth (and grey cloth) are available in the future.

I had an Audi TT with NAPA leather seats. Despite babying the seats, and using a high quality conditioner once a month, the bolster still cracked within 10000 miles. Leather conditioners don't usually work, because the leather has a vinyl coating to protect it (try putting a few drops of water on the seats and see what happens!). I got the cloth, because I don't think the performance seats are worth the money. This was one of the hardest option choices for me.

I had an Audi TT with NAPA leather seats. Despite babying the seats, and using a high quality conditioner once a month, the bolster still cracked within 10000 miles. Leather conditioners don't usually work, because the leather has a vinyl coating to protect it (try putting a few drops of water on the seats and see what happens!). I got the cloth, because I don't think the performance seats are worth the money. This was one of the hardest option choices for me.

I have to disagree here. I have had cars for up to ten years with no cracks in the leather. The last five cars I have owned had leather. No Cracks. My Wife's 14 year old avalon, no cracks. You do have to wipe them down with a good cleaner/conditioner once a week to keep in good condition. Once a month is not enough especially if you use the seat heaters. It takes all of 5 minutes to do it... And it makes them shine...

I have to disagree here. I have had cars for up to ten years with no cracks in the leather. The last five cars I have owned had leather. No Cracks. My Wife's 14 year old avalon, no cracks. You do have to wipe them down with a good cleaner/conditioner once a week to keep in good condition. Once a month is not enough especially if you use the seat heaters. It takes all of 5 minutes to do it... And it makes them shine...
I'm now even more glad I went with cloth. Weekly seat maintenance to prevent them from being destroyed? No thanks...