Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cloth or Leather seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience has been like JHall's. About the only thing you can do with leather is get them reupholstered once they're so bad you can't stand them anymore.

I have to disagree here. I have had cars for up to ten years with no cracks in the leather. The last five cars I have owned had leather. No Cracks. My Wife's 14 year old avalon, no cracks. You do have to wipe them down with a good cleaner/conditioner once a week to keep in good condition. Once a month is not enough especially if you use the seat heaters. It takes all of 5 minutes to do it... And it makes them shine...

Old cars are a different story. Take a drop of water and put it on the seat. In new leather (like that of my 2012 Audi or Tesla's leather), the coating will prevent it being absorbed. Now think of the goopy leather conditioner you are smearing over it. No way it does anything to the leather underneath.

By all means, post pictures of your leather. I would be impressed if it isn't cracked after 15-20k miles. I live in Seattle, which is not by any means "dry" either.

I had an Audi TT with NAPA leather seats. Despite babying the seats, and using a high quality conditioner once a month, the bolster still cracked within 10000 miles. Leather conditioners don't usually work, because the leather has a vinyl coating to protect it (try putting a few drops of water on the seats and see what happens!). I got the cloth, because I don't think the performance seats are worth the money. This was one of the hardest option choices for me.

I have to disagree here. I have had cars for up to ten years with no cracks in the leather. The last five cars I have owned had leather. No Cracks. My Wife's 14 year old avalon, no cracks. You do have to wipe them down with a good cleaner/conditioner once a week to keep in good condition. Once a month is not enough especially if you use the seat heaters. It takes all of 5 minutes to do it... And it makes them shine...

I think there are too many factors at play to say for sure whether leather will last for each individual buyer. Outside temperature ranges, exposure to sunlight, humidity, stress from weight of driver, etc. could all affect the longevity of leather upholstery, and that doesn't even get to the question of the type of animal skin or manufacturing process.

I've always gone with cloth, because it's not hot or sticky in the summer, and because cloth seats are gripier when a car is cornering hard.

I use Meguires leather wipe.... Works good on plastics as well...

My 2012 BMW has light beige leather and I'm really struggling to clean it. Basically cannot get the dirt out and seems to have attracted more dirt after I tried cleaning it with Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner / Conditioner. Ironically the directions say "for best results, apply to clean... surface".
So what does one use to get the clean surface for the cleaner ?

That's probably why most leather is black.

Old cars are a different story. Take a drop of water and put it on the seat. In new leather (like that of my 2012 Audi or Tesla's leather), the coating will prevent it being absorbed. Now think of the goopy leather conditioner you are smearing over it. No way it does anything to the leather underneath.

By all means, post pictures of your leather. I would be impressed if it isn't cracked after 15-20k miles. I live in Seattle, which is not by any means "dry" either.

2000 Avalon 14 years and 120,000 miles later....

- - - Updated - - -

My 2012 BMW has light beige leather and I'm really struggling to clean it. Basically cannot get the dirt out and seems to have attracted more dirt after I tried cleaning it with Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner / Conditioner. Ironically the directions say "for best results, apply to clean... surface".
So what does one use to get the clean surface for the cleaner ?

That's probably why most leather is black.

saddle soap is best cleaner.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 706
Seat covers, on top of cloth?

I really didn't want the leather option, but I also didn't want black seats - what to do? I'm ordering a silver metallic model S, and if I could have any kind of light grey or silverish upholstery, that is what I would have taken.

I am now thinking, get the cloth, and have either custom made covers made, or maybe there are some after-market made-to-fit covers?

@DITB

One thing to consider if you’re thinking about some sort of “custom made covers made, or maybe there are some after-market made-to-fit covers”, are the side air bags in the front seats… In an accident, where they would deploy, would they still function correctly if the seats are covered by something else than the OEM seat upholstery?

@DITB

One thing to consider if you’re thinking about some sort of “custom made covers made, or maybe there are some after-market made-to-fit covers”, are the side air bags in the front seats… In an accident, where they would deploy, would they still function correctly if the seats are covered by something else than the OEM seat upholstery?

I thought side airbags were in the doors?

I thought side airbags were in the doors?

Those are the side-curtain airbags.

- - - Updated - - -

@DITB

Properly made covers have weakened stitching to allow airbag deployment. Purchase from a reputable supplier such as Wet Okole, and there will be no issues.

Thanks, Brianman, I imagine this would have been thought of already.

Seems that Hawaiian company has the right product for me.

I am still not certain about memory - I heard both that cloth only comes with heat, and also that cloth comes with heat AND memory.

Can someone with cloth please confirm - do the seats have memory or not?

How good it must be for the seat to remember all those farts and sweating ... :rolleyes:

I am still not certain about memory - I heard both that cloth only comes with heat, and also that cloth comes with heat AND memory.

The cloth and leather seats are at parity (save the little charging card pocket you get with the leather). If you get the tech package, your cloth seats will have the same memory features as the leather.

Thanks, Brianman, I imagine this would have been thought of already.

Seems that Hawaiian company has the right product for me.

How good it must be for the seat to remember all those farts and sweating ... :rolleyes:

I have textile seats and love them. They are heated and have memory although I never use the memory but do use the heat all the time. I am a fan of leather seats but Tesla's leather didn't seem or look that good so I passed.

Last edited:
A story for this thread: sitting w my brother & his family in their car, I said, "I think I'm not going to get leather seats in the Tesla."
You'd think by their reaction I had told them that I was a serial killer. :scared: When the dust settled, all I could think of to say was, "I suspect the cloth seats in a Tesla are probably pretty nice."

One misgiving i do have w my desire to avoid buying all that leather is dirty-dustiness. Camping, hauling stuff and my job, which often leaves my clothes full of powdery dust, would be easier to clean up from w leather (?) I have never owned a car w leather seats. I still think I'll keep it that way.

Powdery dust is going to be easier to clean from leather because you just have to wipe it off with a damp cloth. The other reason for leather is that you don't have to have a black interior. Otherwise cloth is the way to go. I was forced to get leather because when my car was built seat heating and 12-way was tied to leather. If I was buying today I'd get cloth and then put on a seat cover to get rid of the black.

I forgot about black only. It (black textile) looks really nice on the Model S design studio pic. which is a computer rendering anyway so it's puurrrfect ! In my case, we're talking Model X so who knows ?!

> Not sure I get the question? Seat warmers heat any type seat, cloth, leather, textile whatever ... [tiblot]

Ok, exactly what steps does one take to turn ON heated (textile) seats in a car with no tech package? I cannot find or provoke the icon(s) on my screen(s) and in any case have never sensed (or suffered) a warmed butt, so I've concluded it just isn't a feature of vin1993. Perhaps I'm missing a clue.
--