Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cloth replacing Alcantara on PUP ?? (Sub post for relevance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is upsetting to see this change of the premium interior. It almost seems like a slight of hand. I am looking forward to get my email to order but this sort of thing makes me start to second guess if I should place my order when the email arrives....at least until Tesla gets it’s act together.

Reactions: ölbrenner
This is upsetting to see this change of the premium interior. It almost seems like a slight of hand. I am looking forward to get my email to order but this sort of thing makes me start to second guess if I should place my order when the email arrives....at least until Tesla gets it’s act together.
I also think I will hold off on ordering until such time I am still assured of getting the full US EV federal tax credit. Hopefully by then supplier issues are sorted (and hopefully they debundle some of the PUP options I don't want).

I also think I will hold off on ordering until such time I am still assured of getting the full US EV federal tax credit. Hopefully by then supplier issues are sorted (and hopefully they debundle some of the PUP options I don't want).

Waiting/hoping for the "full" federal tax credit is something I see frequently. But unless I am wrong, it may or may not apply anyway. One must have $7500 in taxes to offset or they don't get the full credit anyway. This happened to me. Anyone tell me I am wrong or how I shorted myself.

Plus, IMHO, the savings of purchasing an EV are more than offset by the credit (worst case scenario). I have not brake changes, fluid changes, filters (well, you all know the arguments). Plus I have saved a ton on not buying gas. YMMV

Waiting/hoping for the "full" federal tax credit is something I see frequently. But unless I am wrong, it may or may not apply anyway. One must have $7500 in taxes to offset or they don't get the full credit anyway. This happened to me. Anyone tell me I am wrong or how I shorted myself.
No need to wait or hope for anything. The EV tax credit is fully defined and easily understood, and how and when and what amounts will apply. Also not seeing how one can justify leaving it behind, when you can have it AND the maintenance/running cost savings too.

No need to wait or hope for anything. The EV tax credit is fully defined and easily understood, and how and when and what amounts will apply. Also not seeing how one can justify leaving it behind, when you can have it AND the maintenance/running cost savings too.

Plus, IMHO, the savings of purchasing an EV are more than offset by the credit (worst case scenario). I have not brake changes, fluid changes, filters (well, you all know the arguments). Plus I have saved a ton on not buying gas. YMMV

Lest I be misunderstood: I have already claimed my credit and I didn't have $7500 in taxes to offset. Therefore, I could not us the full credit. So, anyone hoping for the full credit but having less in Federal taxes to offset will not be able to use the full credit anyway. Just trying to alert people to the reality of the credit.

My last off topic post.:rolleyes:

Lest I be misunderstood: I have already claimed my credit and I didn't have $7500 in taxes to offset.

How on Earth is this possible? A lot of people misunderstand how this works. You do not need to have $7500 in taxes to pay at the moment you file your taxes, all the taxes you have already paid that entire year are taken into consideration. I don't understand how can somebody get an expensive Tesla and not have paid 7.5K in taxes the whole year? Tell me your secret :)

Personally, I'm glad Tesla made the change to a more durable, more attractive cloth material. I don't like Alacantra and would never pay a premium for it. I have it in a few of my vehicles and it wears fast, stains, gets matted and so forth and frankly I don't like the appearance of a throw-back 1970's seude look.

I hope Tesla sticks with the cloth material and maybe this will move me up a few notches in waiting list as those upset with the switch delay their delivery date!!

I for one like the non white/beige alcantara. It is true it is very hard to clean. But the black is really nice. Tesla has changed the headliners without notification win the S before, and created a firestorm of complaints. I for one am disappointed not getting it. I configured mine on Jan 5th. I have not yet seen any "official" announcement about the headliner

Because it does not wear well and according to this guy is cheap and should not go in high end vehicles -
The relative cost of the material doesn't determine whether it's nice or not (which I happen to think it is, especially compared to the awful textile headliner Tesla put in the old Model S), and alcantara doesn't present a wear issue when it's used appropriately. As the guy in the video correctly pointed out, keep it away from steering wheels, gearshifts, arm rests and such and it's fine.

How on Earth is this possible? A lot of people misunderstand how this works. You do not need to have $7500 in taxes to pay at the moment you file your taxes, all the taxes you have already paid that entire year are taken into consideration. I don't understand how can somebody get an expensive Tesla and not have paid 7.5K in taxes the whole year? Tell me your secret :)

Less than 100K in income; itemized deductions; AGI less than 65K; exemptions and I only owed $1500 in taxes. Squiggle around on form IRS for 8936 and subtract line blah blah from bladibla and one is left with $1500 in EV credits. But I also got a hefty refund (which I abhorred while employed 'cause I didn't want the government holding my money for any length of time). With no income I cannot control withholding and hence, a substantial refund. So my secret? Retire, I guess, and enjoy a super car: 67000 miles in 18 months!;)

I took a test drive, then ordered a Model S. When it arrived it was not what I expected; it was better. It continues to get better and better. My model 3 reservation was on April 1, 2016. If you expect Tesla to freeze some configuration you think you want, you are shopping for the wrong car. You can buy a used Tesla and see before you buy, but it will probably continue to get better and better too.

Reactions: CAF