Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cloth seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious on how others think of microfiber cloth for the seats?

My wife has light gray microfiber cloth seats in her honda crv from 5 years ago and it is hold up well. It looks clean where as my nissan leafs black cloth seats shows the dirt and crumbs more vividly and looks more dirty.

I probably won't get leather because I don't want the maintenance and dont want the temperature shock of leather seats. No animal killings is a bonus.

Tesla did the gray microfibre option on the Roadster...
mf-seats1.jpg

They were OK, I think, but I prefer a thick weave cloth over the microfibre. As you can see above, the microfibre (like Alcantara) tends to show matting patterns in the material.

A cloth sport seat option would be great, or even a variation on the BMW i3 seat would be great too. Been burned one too many times by leather seats... I wouldnt want to pay extra to have my car roast my body parts or my passengers'.

Doesnt the current BMW M3/M4 seats have a sport cloth option or something?

Cloth seats are actually considered an upgrade from the synthetic leather that is base in many luxury cars, at least in non US markets (where cloth is seen as a step below real and fake leather). However it's pretty high end cloth.

I would be very surprised if the seating surfaces on the base Model 3 are cloth as none of the competitors in the entry luxury segment offer anything other than leatherette as a starting point and Elon has repeatedly said the Model 3 will be "nicer than anything else" in the segment.

Now personally I love how cloth seats feel but I hate how the hold up over time and I especially hate how in the dry climate I live in they give you a nice electric shock every time you exit the vehicle.
Good thing you'll have an EV otherwise that electric shock might start a fire at the gas pump!

Also I find my leather seats wear out sooner than my cloth seats so far. Not to mention the Jeans rivet scratches...

Most of these seat designs have one thing in common that Im noticing and that I really hope becomes an option:

The 3/4 cloth 1/4 leather seat design! (My ratios may be off, but you know what Im saying)

Keeps it looking classy but also practical for every day use. I also think a retro nylon cord design on the seats could be cool as well! Porsche did a retro design for their 50th anniversary 911 IIRC. And here's the link:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...versary_Houndstooth_Interior_(9544295760).jpg

I have to admit to some ignorance here. I have owned both cars with cloth seats and cars with leather/fake leather seats. I honestly find the leather to be much easier to clean than the cloth. If you spill a Coke on a cloth seat, more than likely that seat is stained for life. On leather, as long as you catch it relatively quickly it cleans right up. No harm, no foul.

Am I missing something here?

Dan

Teg, I think the Roadster microfiber seats look much better in person. They don't photograph well for some reason. I love the seats in my Evo. They are microfiber and cloth. I can't think of a car seat that I have liked more. They are super grippy, well bolstered, comfortable and they still look brand new. They're way better than mummified cow skin seats that are slippery, burning hot/freezing cold, and riddled with stretch marks (and cracks after some years).
mitsubishi-lancer-evo-8-interior-wallpaper-ixqxla1r.jpg

I have to admit to some ignorance here. I have owned both cars with cloth seats and cars with leather/fake leather seats. I honestly find the leather to be much easier to clean than the cloth. If you spill a Coke on a cloth seat, more than likely that seat is stained for life. On leather, as long as you catch it relatively quickly it cleans right up. No harm, no foul.

Am I missing something here?

Dan
I don't think I've seen anybody dispute the cleanability of leather. I'm sure that in most, if not all cases , leather is easier to clean. But cleanability is only on deciding factor when choosing a seat covering material.

Reactions: Dan Detweiler