Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cloud based dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think what makes sense is similar to how dashcams work. It can record X amount of data (1 hr, 2 hrs) and then overwrites the video. Event triggers makes the dashcam "keep" video Y amount of time before and after (i.e. an accident would tell it to keep 1 minute before to 1 minute after an accident).

Considering Tesla is paying for your LTE data for the first few years, they likely will have driving data (Supercharger Info, Navigation, Maps, and Streaming services) go over LTE, and any updates/uploads from the car go over wifi. Including any dashcam video.

Is this possible or would it use too much data to be financially practical?
Can the Tesla cameras have improved frame rate over that which is used for accident footage?
Cloud dashcams such as the Blackvue 650S already exist and have cloud functionality if you provide a network for it to upload to. Many owners even share their live streams so you can watch as they drive around (or park in their garages).

The ideal setup would be constant recording while driving (overwritten if no incidents), and situational recording when parked (i.e. infra-red sensor if people are loitering around the car, door/window tampering, blunt force). If its a tampering/force signal, it sends you an alert and link for a live feed, plus an option to trigger the horn/alarm. If it's just loitering, it sends you a notification, and an option to view a live link. That would be my wish.