TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Cloud based dashcam

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nuclear Fusion, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nuclear Fusion

Is this possible or would it use too much data to be financially practical?
    Can the Tesla cameras have improved frame rate over that which is used for accident footage?

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

It's far more practical to save to local storage and upload later via wifi.

3. TehDoak

TehDoak Member

I think what makes sense is similar to how dashcams work. It can record X amount of data (1 hr, 2 hrs) and then overwrites the video. Event triggers makes the dashcam "keep" video Y amount of time before and after (i.e. an accident would tell it to keep 1 minute before to 1 minute after an accident).

Considering Tesla is paying for your LTE data for the first few years, they likely will have driving data (Supercharger Info, Navigation, Maps, and Streaming services) go over LTE, and any updates/uploads from the car go over wifi. Including any dashcam video.

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

Cloud dashcams such as the Blackvue 650S already exist and have cloud functionality if you provide a network for it to upload to. Many owners even share their live streams so you can watch as they drive around (or park in their garages).

5. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

• Like x 1
  6. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

7. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

The ideal setup would be constant recording while driving (overwritten if no incidents), and situational recording when parked (i.e. infra-red sensor if people are loitering around the car, door/window tampering, blunt force). If its a tampering/force signal, it sends you an alert and link for a live feed, plus an option to trigger the horn/alarm. If it's just loitering, it sends you a notification, and an option to view a live link. That would be my wish.

8. Nuclear Fusion

The thief just steals the storage

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

#9 JeffK, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    If a thief is in your car you might have other problems. Do you have side cameras too as they come through the driver's door?

If that waylens thing pans out, you could use that. I doubt the forward looking quality would be equal to dedicated front facing cameras.

10. Nuclear Fusion

Thinkware F800 Pro will have Cloud access & remote event notifications, with a software update shortly

Buy Thinkware Dash Cam F800

So definitely doable with Tesla cameras