Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cloud connected cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an idea, but:
We need some sort of standard akin to double-din for a mounting bracket/interface for your large tablet.
We saw some cars with custom Ipad mounts, but it would be nice if it was a universal mount that could accommodate iPads, Droids, etc.
The mount could provide power, and audio amplification to the vehicle speakers, and backup camera feed, then you would do all the phone, GPS, music source and such from within the tablet.
The way these things evolve you could do a couple of self-upgrades to newer tablet tech during the life of the vehicle.

Microsoft And Toyota Team Up To Create Next-Gen Telematics Platform - TechCruch

event_toyota_hero.jpg

The battle for the in-dash system is just starting to heat up, as we leave the era of half-hearted in-house interfaces and enter a period where your car will be as powerful and accessible as your smartphone. Ford’s been leading this charge with Sync, and Tesla has a new approach as well, and now Microsoft and Toyota are putting their heads together to make a new platform, and like everything else these days, it’s in the cloud.
Toyota, Microsoft to Bring the Cloud to Cars | Autopia | Wired.com

Toyota and Microsoft say they will create a global network based on the Seattle software giant’s Windows Azure cloud-computing platform, and we’ll see it first in the electric and plug-in hybrids the Japanese automaker plans to introduce next year. That’s key, because a big point of the project is creating a system by which cars like the forthcoming RAV4 EV and plug-in Prius communicate with, and draw power from, the grid.

Tesla, other carmakers in Internet race

From Mercury News

I'm not surprised to see Ford mentioned with their "Sync" software, but I was surprised to see Tesla Motors mentioned first.

I have to say, this would be a perfect test bed for Google! I'd love to be able to talk to the car and ask it to direct me to the next Dairy Queen in my direction of travel. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote from article:

"Tesla's sedan, which goes on sale next year for $49,900 after a $7,500 federal tax credit, will come standard with a 17-inch touchscreen that will include features like navigation and entertainment, many of which could be delivered over the cloud. Software delivered from the Internet are one way car companies can continue to deliver new features to car owners.

"We basically can keep your car fresh over the lifespan of ownership," said Franz von Holzhausen, Tesla's chief designer.

Von Holzhausen said Tesla expects to see its cars serving as Wi-Fi hubs for phones and tablets, and he said Model S owners will be able to use smartphone apps to check the level of charge when they are away from the vehicle, or personalize the car by uploading their music or route directions before they set out. But like many manufacturers, Tesla is also struggling to decide which functions to deliver from the cloud, and which to keep onboard the car, because wireless broadband Internet connections are not yet available everywhere.

"Cloud computing for us is still not ideal, because we know many of our customers are going to be driving through or living in a place where there is no connection," von Holzhausen said."

As long as they don't make mobile Internet connectivity a requirement, I'm happy. You should be able to connect the car via wi-fi from your garage or near a Starbucks or something. That said, after paying $90k for the car, I'll probably pony up the $30/month for mobile Internet. It's just too darned convenient.

Last edited:
"We basically can keep your car fresh over the lifespan of ownership," said Franz von Holzhausen, Tesla's chief designer.
As an original Roadster buyer who's car is not getting the firmwares upgrades of a 2nd year car, I think the term "lifespan of ownership" is a bit overblown. My car just had it's 2nd birthday. No reason to think the 2nd year Model S will not usurp the first one.

No reason to think the 2nd year Model S will not usurp the first one.

That was my first thought when thinking about getting in line for a Model S. But then again, Tesla is a more mature company than it was when the first batch of roadsters was produced. I don't know at this point that I actually could wait over 2 years before getting one.

However, my dad used to tell me never to buy a new model the first year it was introduced. Give 'em a year to work the bugs out, then buy was his advice. He would put 60,000 miles a year on his car, so he was buying new ones every couple/three years. So, it's obviously not just a Tesla thing.

Gad I hate gaskets. Scraping them off. Paying for the replacement. Trying to keep from damaging it. Pre-oil it or not to pre-oil it. Put everything back together and hope the frickin thing doesn't leak.

Of course, something can be said for what's lost as well. The days of fixing an inoperative car with a toothpick, duct tape, or a rubber band are probably gone.

I don't think the Gizmodo guy was saying older ('70s) cars were more reliable, just something the shade tree mechanic could work on. Anyhow, stay on topic.

Perhaps it's better to just read the LA Times article he references:

J.D. Power quality: Auto quality slumps in 2011; imports regain edge - latimes.com
Ford ... introduced new features that baffled many drivers.

"A lot of times engineers design these things, and they are more technically minded than the rest of us," said Michelle Krebs, senior analyst for auto information company Edmunds.com. "I'm sure they'll work those kinks out, but right now it's hurting them."

Glenn Kopensky can attest to that. After being drawn to Ford's MyFord Touch, a multimedia dashboard system that allows the driver to control calls, music and the navigation system with voice commands and a touch screen, Kopensky said he was ready to trade in his $50,000, 9-month-old Lincoln MKX.

"It really has been a huge disappointment," said Kopensky, 52, of Philadelphia. "It's a touch screen so you expect it to work like an Apple iPhone, and it's nothing like that — you have to hold your finger to the screen for three seconds for something to happen and you have to take your eyes off the road, and that's not very good."

Making this new tech in cars dead simple is definitely the challenge. I think the key is to layer the functionality. After all, how many people have a smart phone and only use it as a phone and to read their email?

I'm hopeful that Tesla will get it right from seeing the videos of the prototype. I like how the screen is separated into functional areas by default. Climate controls, audio, etc. I can just see a skin that displays the audio section as a simple AM/FM radio. :) With haptic feedback, the knobs could buzz so after a glance to put your finger there, you could tell by touch as you circle your finger around the virtual knob to raise or lower the volume. That said, I'd rather Google get more involved with the voice recognition. "computer, raise volume 10db please" "computer, find me a soft rock station please"

I thought this was more appropriate in this thread than in the News forum.

From PCWorld.com: Connected Cars: Not Just Science Fiction Anymore

By taking such features out of the radio and putting them into an app, Pioneer's system ensures that your car stereo always has the latest technology, since the app receives updates online. The App Radio prevents you from getting out-of-date information, too, as long as the developer keeps its app current. In addition, you don't need a data plan for the car, because you're using the data plan on your iOS device.

I agree with one of the comments, in an Internet connected corridor, (with Pandora, Rhapsody, etc.), there would be no need for Sirius/XM. So if you would normally sign up for that service, then your cost for Internet connectivity would be more reasonable.

As an OT aside, that Audi A7 sure looks a lot like a certain Model S. :smile: