Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cloud syncing multiple driver profiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family have shared a single model 3 for years, but will be getting a new one (in addition to keeping the old one, not replacing it) in a few days. Currently, we're both logged into the same account (but with multiple driver profiles), and everything works fine.

As far as I can tell from the cars interface, and other search results, it seems like each account can only have one driver's profile cloud-synced? Is that correct? If so, are there any negative side-effects to switching to having two separate accounts registered for the cars?

Even if that is a viable and proper solution to syncing multiple profiles, it definitely seems unnecessarily cumbersome and complex, especially as each user may have multiple profiles to sync (such as easy entry, or a profile with a more comfortable reclined seat position, distinct from the one they use for driving), and it seems ridiculous to expect people to create multiple dummy accounts with different email addresses just to sync those between cars.

Thanks!

Reactions: buckets0fun
I believe you’re limited to one cloud profile per account, but having a separate account for each driver is not a problem, and preferable in some situations. For example, my wife and I both have Teslas and separate accounts. My account is the primary one for both cars, and my wife’s account is secondary and only provides access to her car. If you have Tesla Energy products, as we do, you can access those from multiple accounts.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I understand cloud profile, but why can we not see it and maintain it? Or who do we call to get the profile deleted so a new one can get rebuild? My problem started when the computer was replaced in the car. I would have figured that my cloud profile would have downloaded automatically, but it never did.I deleted my card key account, and my cell phone account so that I can start with a clean profile. When I built the new accounts, my picture never show up on the car's screen. Seems like the picture on my Tesla phone app did not sync and override the old account located in the cloud. My problem started when my computer was replaced on the car. I like the car, but boy, is it buggy.

My family have shared a single model 3 for years, but will be getting a new one (in addition to keeping the old one, not replacing it) in a few days. Currently, we're both logged into the same account (but with multiple driver profiles), and everything works fine.

As far as I can tell from the cars interface, and other search results, it seems like each account can only have one driver's profile cloud-synced? Is that correct? If so, are there any negative side-effects to switching to having two separate accounts registered for the cars?

Even if that is a viable and proper solution to syncing multiple profiles, it definitely seems unnecessarily cumbersome and complex, especially as each user may have multiple profiles to sync (such as easy entry, or a profile with a more comfortable reclined seat position, distinct from the one they use for driving), and it seems ridiculous to expect people to create multiple dummy accounts with different email addresses just to sync those between cars.

Thanks!
We use the same account and have multiple cloud profiles from the same account. It works pretty flawlessly at this point and adjust the seats, changes spotify accounts, etc.

There's no reason to create a second Tesla account. I see 0 benefit.

I believe you’re limited to one cloud profile per account, but having a separate account for each driver is not a problem, and preferable in some situations. For example, my wife and I both have Teslas and separate accounts. My account is the primary one for both cars, and my wife’s account is secondary and only provides access to her car. If you have Tesla Energy products, as we do, you can access those from multiple accounts.
I don't know of a limit, but it's more than 2. We had 3 cloud accounts for 1 Tesla account at one point.

You just add drivers.

My wife uploaded her picture and pulled her cloud profile from her phone and then we did it for my son.
Each driver’s account is a separate Tesla account, whether you call it that or not. It doesn’t have to be an owner, but each unique email address is a separate account. So having a separate cloud profile for each driver is not an issue.

However, if you have multiple Teslas under the same account, there’s no way to create a separate profile for each car without creating separate accounts. For example, my S and my wife’s 3 are both associated with my account, and she has a separate account for her 3. I can’t migrate my local profile in both cars to the cloud because I can only have one cloud profile associated with my email.

• Informative
Each driver’s account is a separate Tesla account, whether you call it that or not. It doesn’t have to be an owner, but each unique email address is a separate account. So having a separate cloud profile for each driver is not an issue.

However, if you have multiple Teslas under the same account, there’s no way to create a separate profile for each car without creating separate accounts. For example, my S and my wife’s 3 are both associated with my account, and she has a separate account for her 3. I can’t migrate my local profile in both cars to the cloud because I can only have one cloud profile associated with my email.
My "wife's account" was just me adding her as a driver. Yes, she added her email creating the cloud profile, but didn't get access to safety score (hers showed up on mine), she uses my payment info which doesnt even display on her app, the cars are all under me.

We are arguing semantics here

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
We have two Teslas, and we both have our own separate accounts.
When I need to drive her Tesla, she can share access through the app, and my cloud profile will appear in her car. Likewise, if I share my car with her.
However, as soon as we remove access, the cloud profile disappears.
Is there a way to keep our cloud profile, with preferences, set up etc when the car is no longer shared ?

We have two Teslas, and we both have our own separate accounts.
When I need to drive her Tesla, she can share access through the app, and my cloud profile will appear in her car. Likewise, if I share my car with her.
However, as soon as we remove access, the cloud profile disappears.
Is there a way to keep our cloud profile, with preferences, set up etc when the car is no longer shared ?
No, the cloud profile is associated with accounts that have access to the car via the app. If you both drive both cars, why not keep access via the app instead of adding/removing it? Adding access temporarily is typically only necessary if you're borrowing or renting a car.

No, the cloud profile is associated with accounts that have access to the car via the app. If you both drive both cars, why not keep access via the app instead of adding/removing it? Adding access temporarily is typically only necessary if you're borrowing or renting a car.
Thanks for clarifying. Good to know. Neither of us like the idea of being tracked non stop. :)
So we want the cloud profile, but not the permanent tracking and info that goes along with the app. :)

Kicking this back up real quick with a different type of question but kind of related - When you have multiple Tesla accounts/driver profiles linked in a single vehicle, is there a way to select which account gets charged when you hook up to a Supercharger? Or is it always going to default to charging the original vehicle buyer's account?

We just got a new Model X last week under my wife's name and her own separate Tesla account. I've had my Model 3 for almost 5 years now. We've got both of our Tesla accounts linked into the driver profiles for the Model X now. I took it to a local Supercharger last night to make sure it would connect and charge without issue since we're heading out of town with it this weekend. I was using my driver profile, of course, and after connecting it charged fine but the screen kept showing the charging session was at $0.00. I charged for about 20 minutes, it stayed showing $0.00 the entire time, and when I disconnected it charged my wife's account for the session.

We keep our finances separate for the most part. If I take the X out for a guy's road trip I want to be able to have the Supercharging get charged to my account. I've done some searching in this forum and haven't found the answer, the owner's manual doesn't talk about it either.