Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunk-clunk-clunk from the front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a repeatable "clunk clunk clunk" noise coming from the front of my Model S with coil suspension. This is not the drivetrain clunk from the rear (I had that previously, and had it fixed by Tesla Service). Happens when I turn hard right into my driveway from the road. Does not happen when I exit the driveway turning left onto the road. Speed typically is no more than 2-3 mph. Driveway is horizontal (not sloped), but slightly higher than the road. The clunking noise has started occurring only in the last week or so. I have made an appointment with service, but earliest availability is 2.5 weeks away.

Anyone else experienced anything similar? Any pointers on what could be going on?

Thanks in advance.

TAKE your car to your Service Center.
Pronto.
Tell them it is very urgent that it must be looked at and adjusted.

Mine had clicking and popping noises from the front passenger wheel, and results could have been serious.
Eventually my car required towing to Service Center, and me getting an Uber.

I had a clunking or rattle-type noise that turned out to be a broken sway bar link on the front drivers side. It was most noticeable when driving into/out of the driveway at slow speed. The first service guy didn't hear it but luckily another one took the car for a longer drive and heard it.

My clunk came up upon going in sharp turns into my driveway and the coupling in between steering and wheels was to be replaced, my car was delivered to me March 2014 and it of course was build two months sooner as it had to be shipped over sea.
Since Tesla replaced this clutch the clunk is gone and I assume yours is worn as it was a wrong series Tesla had in a few cars.

I have no complaints about Tesla services as my car came back quick and clean, service is great and expect Tesla coming up with a trade for owners here soon as they announced it in their new year event I was invited to a good week ago, I want to trade mine purely on the fact I only can do 20K kms with my rear tires and a P85D will likely give me more safety and tire life.

Sounds like the steering wheel TSB where they put a shim between two bolts of different metals types to muffle/mask the sound. Its not a real fix, kind of like a bandaid as It's still present but muffled and not really discernible except to the audiophile type ear :)

My car was fixed with a new rear control arm after failure of replacement of the front control arm to fix the noise. The rear control arm replacement required removal of the battery pack to replace.

Just goes to show how tricky noises are to locate. If you read your first post, you were pretty sure it was coming from the front and not the rear. Amazing isn't it? Glad you are all fixed up now.

I`ve had loud clunk noises from the front of the car when driving slow over bumps with the steeringwheel turned all the way over (or almost all the way over). The service center did some retorqing and the sound went away. Only concern now is the service-statement "Now it`s as good as it gets", which makes me wonder if the problem has been solved or just masked. Or if it was just an unfortunate comment meant to be funny :)