Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunk in rear during initial acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a pronounced clunk noise when power is first applied to the rear drive train in both drive and reverse. It appears to be fine once under power and accelerates normally and I dont feel any abnormal vibration. I put the vehicle up on my lift today and thought I might find a bad rear bearing on one of the wheel hubs, but they both appear to be to tight when shaking the tires. There is some backlash on CV joints, but I wonder if that is normal play. I have approximately 45K miles and tires, brakes, wheels are all in good shape. Does anyone have any idea what I should try to investigate next?

I had the clunk before and eventually tracked down the culprit: it was a loose object in the trunk rolling around when I accelerated. The object was actually a CAN Jr. :)

I put the CAN in a small cardboard box and cured the clink.

I hope you have the same “problem.”
The best place I've found to store the CANs is between the seats. Pull it out by the draw string. That way you don't even have to open the trunk to start charging. If your legs are short and you have to adjust the seat too far forward then it may not work so well. Works best with the 2.5 seats but the 1.5 seats will also hold them.

Reactions: Mark77a
I normally experience a "clunk" when driving slowly and changing from driving to regeneration or vice versa. I can't tell from your video if this is the same clunk as yours, but to add a data point, this is the feedback that i got from the SC after they conducted a test drive:
"The clunking is in the differential and is in all roadsters. Completely normal and as designed. If the customer feel that it is
excessive we will have to replace the engine or at least the differential, but there will still be clunking thug maybe a little
less, i have not heard a new differential in the roadster so i do not know how a new one sound but i have spoken to the
manager who replaced a lot of engines as customer was complaining, but found out the new ones was the same."

Here’s another possibility. Look at post #2 by jason.tv:

I have the same clunk in mine, and am going to check next time I have the car in the air.