Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunk in your front end over bumps? Check brake caliper spring clips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen this elsewhere, so i wanted to post it as a tip. My P85D was making a loud front end clunk when going over the smallest of bumps. SC diagnosed it as the front air shocks needing replacement, which I though would be rather expensive for a noise I was able to live with. When switching over my tires in the spring I noticed that one of the spring clips on the front caliper had rusted and was hanging loose, the one on the other side was completely missing. After replacing both the noise completely went away! It was just brake pads rattling.

Cheap fix - AC Delco part# 18K1971X, GM part# 19264181 is a set of 2 that are an exact match for about $30, cheaper than the $50 for 1 that Tesla charged me.

Good tip. For a rattle like that I probably would have looked at the sway bar links and missed the brake clips.

Did you notice a difference in pedal feel or an increase in efficiency? I've heard that the clips can be responsible for a mushy pedal, but help keep the pads away from the rotor (and eliminate rattles).

Good tip. For a rattle like that I probably would have looked at the sway bar links and missed the brake clips.

Did you notice a difference in pedal feel or an increase in efficiency? I've heard that the clips can be responsible for a mushy pedal, but help keep the pads away from the rotor (and eliminate rattles).
Ive had a 2017 S and now, 2022. Have to be honest, brake feel isnt a strong point on these. On my 2017, I even flushed/bled the fluid thinking there may have been air in the line. But a full, complete flush/fresh fluid later? Same non-firm feel when really using the brakes in a moderate to full manner.

My Wifes Y actually has better brake feel than the S. But neither have a pedal feel like BMW/Benz that I owned before

I have suspected this for some time. The rattle sound on my 2015 MS over small bumps and irregular pavement was prominent, went away for a long time, now is back. SC said it was a "subjective noise", thought it was suspension but declined to replace it. I suspected it was the pads rattling but never pulled the wheel to check. Glad to see I'm not nutz.

Ive had a 2017 S and now, 2022. Have to be honest, brake feel isnt a strong point on these. On my 2017, I even flushed/bled the fluid thinking there may have been air in the line. But a full, complete flush/fresh fluid later? Same non-firm feel when really using the brakes in a moderate to full manner.

My Wifes Y actually has better brake feel than the S. But neither have a pedal feel like BMW/Benz that I owned before
I installed a brake brace to increase the stiffness on the master cylinder brake booster, and that made a surprisingly noticeable improvement to moderate and hard braking. Not sure if they make the same brace for the Model S or Y though, but I highly recommend it for how cheap of an upgrade it is.