Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunk noise during left turn into an incline - anyone the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a left turn I take by my home that each time I hear a single loud "clunk" noise coming from my left front wheel area about halfway into the turn. I am driving uphill at the time, about 20 MPH, turning a total of 90 deg. I have no idea what the sound could be. There is nothing is the frunk and nothing inside my car moving around. Has anyone had this problem? I'm hesitant to bring it into the service center without some more guidance I could provide them. Thank you!

Most likely lose suspension and since you can reproduce the issue consistently I'd take a video so that you can hear the sound in the video and schedule a service visit in the app letting them know the situation.

Your issue seems to be something similar or the same as these: https://www.google.com/search?q=tesla+model+3+lose+suspension+sound

Thanks I have a similar thing, but seems like could happen on either side, very subtle chunk like hitting a firm piece of slush, and only on inclined turns (in my case can happen up or down on a mountain pass near my house). Will schedule appt thanks!

I have the exact same issue, but turning right on a steep inclined ramp exiting my condo garage. I reported it, but they couldn't reproduce it in a level service centre :rolleyes: and said they couldn't do anything about it.

Due to covid, mobile techs in my area don't do test drives in other people's vehicles :mad:. Also it doesn't always happen, difficult to film or record it. I don't want to force it to do it often, I feel like it's scraping against something and breaking the car.

Please let me know what your resolution is! I'd love to get it fixed! For now I always just make a super wide turn on the ramp :confused:

Crap! Only 250 miles, VIN 88xxx, Right hand turn, into my uphill drive (all concrete), I've now heard a grinding/scraping sound (twice) as the tire climbs out of the gutter.
It's going to be impossible to reproduce at a "level" SC!!

(can't edit/delete my post above!)

Never mind. I attempted to video, and noticed there was water in the gutter. When the tires attempted to climb the steep grade, they were slipping...not the whole tire, just the 6" patch of wet tire. (Jeez, the what a lot of noise from such a small loss of traction. I've read that elsewhere, that the ABS as a whole is noisy.)

...:rolleyes:,,,

It is most likely the sway bar end links. There are upgrade kits online and it takes 10 mins with hand tools to replace them each side. They have crappy joints in them that wear out and the replacement aftermarket ones are much beefier.

My 22 LR does it as well.

Noise was heard last year in the summer, then went away. It's doing it again from time to time. Confirmed the noise on a road test with a Tesla technician and said its the floor flexing and its normal.

I'm going to have a quick peek again myself and make another request to have it looked at.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: badiban
I have the same clunk from the left side of my MY22. I changed the suspension to UPP and the swaybar links and bar were also changed. At first , it went away, bit after a week, it came back. I thought it was the sway bar links too. I replaced the links with Redwood and it still persist. I wish I can fit a GoPro to see what’s going on in there. It doesn’t affect the normal driving dynamics. It almost sounds like the spring is twisting.

Attachments

• IMG_2561.jpeg
    IMG_2561.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 84
I have the same clunk from the left side of my MY22. I changed the suspension to UPP and the swaybar links and bar were also changed. At first , it went away, bit after a week, it came back. I thought it was the sway bar links too. I replaced the links with Redwood and it still persist. I wish I can fit a GoPro to see what’s going on in there. It doesn’t affect the normal driving dynamics. It almost sounds like the spring is twisting.
Had the same issue with my MYP after lowering on Ohlins R&T. Changed OEM endlinks to SPL endlinks and still persisted. Mostly mitigated after I disassembled my coilovers and added Swift thrust sheets but you can throw in pretty much any other thrust bearing.

From another thread.

looks like its the body flex making the pop / clunk sound and is normal.

Reactions: badiban
From another thread.

looks like its the body flex making the pop / clunk sound and is normal.
Most probably it is my issue with a translation (not native ENG speaker) but in my case the sound comes only when I turn and go up at the same time. The sound is like a very noisy clunk. Like crynch noice. Like something in suspension hits the body or spling hits something in the suspension.

Reactions: mcsenerd
I finally decided to take the entire front suspension apart and found the problem. It was the upper control arm. The part that holds the knuckle was completely drain of all the fluid. It left to the joint free to move around and clunking as the suspension went up and down. Instead of getting it replace with the same old Telsa defective part, I opted to go with the MPP FUCA. Now the car is riding perfect with no noise and a better handling responsiveness.

Reactions: EASpot and Alef
I finally decided to take the entire front suspension apart and found the problem. It was the upper control arm. The part that holds the knuckle was completely drain of all the fluid. It left to the joint free to move around and clunking as the suspension went up and down. Instead of getting it replace with the same old Telsa defective part, I opted to go with the MPP FUCA. Now the car is riding perfect with no noise and a better handling responsiveness.
Glad you sorted it out! Usually the FUCA balljoint issue manifests as a creaking noise, but maybe your balljoint had no grease for so long that it developed play, then a clunk!