TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Clunk or grinding noise when turning near bump stops?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Gizmotoy, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I first noticed this a few days ago when I got my car back from service. I'm pretty sure it's not done it in the past, but I'm not certain.

I park in a tight underground garage that almost always requires me to utilize the vehicle's minimum turning radius, right up to the bump stops. However, if I do so, it makes some really horrific noises. The turn is kind of downhill on an angle, which is probably contributing. Doing the same on a level surface doesn't seem to have the same results, and if I back off a quarter turn or so from the stop the noises won't occur.

Plan to make an appointment for service, but was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar.

2. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I had similar on my early 2013 flavor. They service center had to apply fizes for steering box shifting under severe steering angle, particularly when the suspension was articulating over something like a driveway or speed bump.

3. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

I have a cornucopia of sounds when either turning near the locks, reversing while turning, or ludicrous acceleration during/immediately after a tight uturn, or ludicrous acceleration in the cold, even straight.