Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'clunk' sound when descelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Caloncho

LongerTelomeres?
Nov 18, 2013
NewYork USA
Hi all,

Since last week I have a clunky (imagine throwing a heavy bolt into a metal paperbasket lined with paper towel) sound when the gas pedal is released and regen engages. There also may be a slight clunk when regen is switched back to accelerating. Not loud but noticeable.

Opinions please,

Cal

PS. kindly redirect if forum selection is incorrect.

From my last service invoice:
Concern: Customer states that when he drives at lower speed, he has the impression that there is a "clunck" in the drive train of his car.
Corrections: Rear drive unit general diagnosis
Confirmed customer state (sic)
A clunck noise is audible, coming from the rear of the vehicle. The noise is coming from the drive unit. Needs replacement to resolve issue.
Corrections: Drive Unit - Rear - Large
Replaced rear drive unit, tested and confirmed correct operation.
Corrections: Halfshafts - lubricate at hubs LH/RH
Lubricated rear drive shafts at hubs
Corrections: Perform validation test drive
Performed validation test drive and confirmed that the vehicle is as designed.
Corrections: Install LH/RH harness connector covers
Replaced electric park brake connector covers
Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items
Pay Type: Warranty​
FYI: The mentioned confirmation of my 'clunck noise' statement consisted of the service employee reversing my car out of the parking spot for one or two feet.

Hi, I have a high mileage Model S (>130k mi). I took it in for a similar issue: (it was not the drive unit)

Concern: Customer states: There is a clunk noise coming from under vehicle that occurs

when accelerating from a stop, and when regenerative braking starts. Please inspect and

advise.

Corrections: Rear Motor General Diagnosis

Confirmed rear axles make clicking noise when moving from reverse to forward

acceleration from stop.

Corrections: Halfshafts - Lubricate at Hubs LH/RH

Removed rear axles from hubs to access, clean and lubricate rear axle splines. Confirmed

no further noise upon completion.

Reactions: Caloncho
I just brought my P85 back in for a 5th service at 69k. Had the droning and the clunk was getting pretty bad. They swapped out the entire drive unit for the droning, which apparently also fixed the clunk? They really need to get this resolved. Having a DU and half-shafts that only last 10-15k miles is getting old. I hope this 3rd (or is it 4th I can't remember anymore) DU is the last one I'll ever need. It took them a week to get this work done and I got a nice fully loaded MX P100DL (which I greatly appreciate) but I worry about the costs in man hours and miles on their loaner each time this comes up for long term company viability... seems semi-unsustainable to keep having to do this so often. And I don't even drive my car that hard... I'm also 90% highway miles.

Concern: Customer: states there is a drone type noise above 65mph

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Drive Unit - Rear - Large
Clicking sound found to be internal to drive unit requiring replacement of drive unit.
Replace rear drive unit.
Completed.

Part Quantity
ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS
(1025598-00-P)

ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER (1003783-00-B) 1
SIDE MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY (1028034
-00-B)

----------------------------------
Concern: Customer: states there is a clunk/tick noise coming from the rear

Pay Type: Customer Pay
MISC Items: NO LABOR PERFORMED
Sounds in this task related to correction in job 2 (above).

I had this as well on my S85 from 2013 which already had two DU replaced.

Brought it to Tilburg, NL and they fixed it in 1 hour for €65.

It was something in the driveshaft where the rear wheels are attached. Something with rust and not enough grease.

They replaced some tiny parts and applied grease. It’s gone now.

• Informative
Reactions: hjz911 and PaulusdB
I had this as well on my S85 from 2013 which already had two DU replaced.

Brought it to Tilburg, NL and they fixed it in 1 hour for €65.

It was something in the driveshaft where the rear wheels are attached. Something with rust and not enough grease.

They replaced some tiny parts and applied grease. It’s gone now.
They've done that procedure on mine before in the past and it helps the problem for a while but it will come back and require a DU replacement eventually. The DU is so powerful it wears the teeth on the gears and will eventually lead to clunk/whine/moan, then once enough teeth are sheered off, you'll get complete failure. I think Tesla has been trying to improve the design to avoid this but it just happens eventually on RWD teslas. The RWD configuration puts a strong rear motor in the rear that is almost too powerful for the parts it's connected to. The extra power output of the performance version can lead to quicker wear especially if you're an aggressive driver. My guess is this wearing happens the most on launches when stress is the highest. Punching it at highway speed less likely to cause the issues, mostly from stop. This flaw is why Tesla went to the AWD model so quickly (IMO)

They've done that procedure on mine before in the past and it helps the problem for a while but it will come back and require a DU replacement eventually. The DU is so powerful it wears the teeth on the gears and will eventually lead to clunk/whine/moan, then once enough teeth are sheered off, you'll get complete failure. I think Tesla has been trying to improve the design to avoid this but it just happens eventually on RWD teslas. The RWD configuration puts a strong rear motor in the rear that is almost too powerful for the parts it's connected to. The extra power output of the performance version can lead to quicker wear especially if you're an aggressive driver. My guess is this wearing happens the most on launches when stress is the highest. Punching it at highway speed less likely to cause the issues, mostly from stop. This flaw is why Tesla went to the AWD model so quickly (IMO)
Hmm, ok. They however told me it wasn’t in the DU itself, but where the axle attaches to the wheels. Not somewhere near the motor nor gearbox.

Time will tell I guess.

My 2013 S, which is on its 5th drive unit (the last one they just put in even though I didn't even ask for it or report any problems!), is now exhibiting the CLUNK sound, about 70% of the time when I accelerate, even gently, and also when I decelerate either via regen or via brakes.

Now: my tires are near end-of-life; the fronts are 4mm and the backs are 3mm. I'm wondering if this is a traction control reaction to poor traction?

I'm hoping it's not Yet Another Drive Unit because I am, at 105500 miles, completely out of warranty, and it's an 8 hour drive and a hotel stayover to the nearest service center.

Last edited: