Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking after alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had an alignment done because the car was pulling right. (2021 LR with 2000 miles on it!). Got the car back last night and today I thought someone left a tool or a water bottle under the front passenger seat because it sounds like something is rolling around and hitting the passenger door with a clunk when I go over a bump or turn with some force. After a very thorough search there is nothing under or around any seat in the car. (Nor in the trunk)

Any suggestions? Did they leave something loose when they did the alignment? This is the fourth time it’s been in the shop in the two months I’ve owned it (one requiring a tow). I’ve got two friends considering Tesla’s and I’m about ready to call them off!

thanks. I’m really frustrated.

Sure sounds like something is loose given your explanation, though I wouldn't think a loose suspension bolt would produce a rolling sound - more of a popping or knocking sound, or perhaps a rattle. I'd take it back to whoever did the alignment. I'm guessing you also took it to the Tysons SC since the car is basically new? They have not done me wrong in the couple times I've brought my car there, but you may want to try another SC.

Sure sounds like something is loose given your explanation, though I wouldn't think a loose suspension bolt would produce a rolling sound - more of a popping or knocking sound, or perhaps a rattle. I'd take it back to whoever did the alignment. I'm guessing you also took it to the Tysons SC since the car is basically new? They have not done me wrong in the couple times I've brought my car there, but you may want to try another SC.

There actually is no rolling sound, just the thunk sound of what it sounds like when a (imaginary) water bottle hits the door. But in my head I thought that was what was going on because that is what the thunk sounded like. Sorry about the confusion.

Yes, Tyson's. And to add insult to injury, I paid for the alignment even though the car came with the drift. It's been in there so often and I didn't feel like arguing over $165 dollars. I guess i just need some enocouragement. I thought I was mentally prepared and ready for the "Tesla Experience", but this last one has just got me down. Not to mention the side-eye I'm getting from the spouse.

I'd say at this point just open another ticket and explain the drift and associated new noise that was not there before they aligned the car. Asking for an alignment specifically may just get you an alignment; it won't address the underlying issue of the car not tracking straight, as there are other things that can cause a car to pull to one side.

This gets mentioned in every thread about Tesla service, but sooner or later the company will reap the negatives associated with poor service once there is adequate competition for high end EVs. Some people have even gone back to gas cars out of frustration.

Hopefully your car only needs to go back once more to get this straightened out.

Don't listen to them.

That sound is the new inertial charger built in to the battery pack. It has a weight which spins like a pendulum to run a generator, and helps keep the car charged. It moves with lateral forces on the car. The noise is normal.