Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking noise in dashboard for a minute after getting in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
(I did some hunting around the forum, but didn’t find this anywhere.)

For a few weeks I’ve been hearing a clunking or clicking sound from the dashboard on the left. It starts as soon as I open the door and climb in, and continues maybe 30-60 seconds. The clunks are irregularly spaced in time. I’ve wondered whether it’s something in the ventilation system, but I’m not sure. The car is three years old, and this is new. No other symptoms. The AC seems fine. The car performs normally. Any ideas? Thanks!

And now, with sound!

I recorded a short video of the issue. The noise in question starts at about 15 seconds. I’ve scheduled a service appointment, but I remain curious whether anyone has any ideas what this knocking might be.

Yours sounds louder than mine. Mine is a 2018 LR as well. The clicking sound started about 3 months ago. I'd be curious what it was. I think mine might have started when I adjusted the direction of my air flow after leaving it alone for a long time. Can't take it in to service for a couple of weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
Yours sounds louder than mine. Mine is a 2018 LR as well. The clicking sound started about 3 months ago. I'd be curious what it was. I think mine might have started when I adjusted the direction of my air flow after leaving it alone for a long time. Can't take it in to service for a couple of weeks.
Interesting. I’ll try playing with the airflow.

For us, this started while we’ve been visiting in Rhode Island, where we’ve had to park outdoors under trees. That had me wondering whether some bit of plant matter—or even a critter—got into the ventilation system.

But whether it’s an airflow adjustment or a twig, I wonder what the heck the car is doing right after one opens the door.

Reactions: cbrigante2
So this is odd. Now that we’re on our trip back to Oregon, it seems to have stopped. If I listen carefully, I can hear a soft noise with a similar irregular rhythm, but I doubt I would have noticed it if I weren’t listening for it. The only variable I can think of is that while we were staying in Rhode Island, the car was parked facing downhill. Seems a stretch. But I’ll look for an opportunity to test it. Or maybe some bit of gunk cleared out, and whatever is moving is doing so more smoothly.

Interesting. I’ll try playing with the airflow.

For us, this started while we’ve been visiting in Rhode Island, where we’ve had to park outdoors under trees. That had me wondering whether some bit of plant matter—or even a critter—got into the ventilation system.

But whether it’s an airflow adjustment or a twig, I wonder what the heck the car is doing right after one opens the door.

Did it still happen if you immediately turn off the fans? That would narrow it down to climate control.

Won't be twigs or anything, nothing that big could get past the air filter.

Okay just took my 3 in for this yesterday. Made the appointment via the app. Used the Uber voucher since loaners were in short supply. I described the sound like we have in here.
They found that it was an Actuator (drivers side) that went bad/failed. The official part on the invoice is:
IP, AIR VENT, ASY, DRIVER(1083320-00-F)
It was replaced under warranty.

I would recommend you chat in the service section of the app and be specific about which side it's coming from and also maybe make mention of the actuator. They had to check inventory before I left and I was lucky they had 1 in stock, so probably best to make sure they have one before wasting a trip. Noise gone. Air seems to blow a bit stronger now as well. :)

Okay just took my 3 in for this yesterday. Made the appointment via the app. Used the Uber voucher since loaners were in short supply. I described the sound like we have in here.
They found that it was an Actuator (drivers side) that went bad/failed. The official part on the invoice is:
IP, AIR VENT, ASY, DRIVER(1083320-00-F)
It was replaced under warranty.

I would recommend you chat in the service section of the app and be specific about which side it's coming from and also maybe make mention of the actuator. They had to check inventory before I left and I was lucky they had 1 in stock, so probably best to make sure they have one before wasting a trip. Noise gone. Air seems to blow a bit stronger now as well. :)
Thanks! We’re going in tomorrow for an unrelated (I think) problem. I’ll ask about the actuator.

Reactions: cbrigante2