Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking Noise Rear Seat.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a loud clunking noise coming from the rear passenger seat area. When someone sits on it, it gets more quiet. Cold weather makes it worse. Seems to be underneath the seat base, but can't tell for sure. Several trips to service, and they have not fixed a thing. Any ideas or similar experiences? Very frustrating for a new car, noises are worse then our ten year old car. Thanks.

I have/had something similar, and for me (and a few others base don my research) that it can come from the hinge area for the back part of the seat. Service came out for a different item, and added some foam into the hinge area which got rid of the noise, mostly.

There are noises in the Y that you will never completely get rid of, that is a fact. :) In all fairness though, I think the in-cabin noises are more pronounced because the car is otherwise dead silent minus a little bit of motor whine. I'm still fighting a couple of rattles but learned to live with them. It's been exactly one year to the day since I got mine and I friggin' love my Y! Rattles and all.

There are noises in the Y that you will never completely get rid of, that is a fact. :) In all fairness though, I think the in-cabin noises are more pronounced because the car is otherwise dead silent minus a little bit of motor whine. I'm still fighting a couple of rattles but learned to live with them. It's been exactly one year to the day since I got mine and I friggin' love my Y! Rattles and all.
I am in the same boat. Maybe one day I will address but I love smoking everyone on the road

I had a similar knock in the right rear seat area particularly when rolling over any rough spot in the road. Was driving me nuts to the point of calling in service. I was poking around back there a couple of weeks ago and bounced the seatbelt tongue against the interior where it rests and the noise was nearly identical. Connected both right and left side rear seatbelts as I rarely have anyone but the dog back there and low and behold the knock is gone.

I have a similar thump in the backseat area on my 2017 Model S. It occurs when going over small drops in the pavement. I just tried stuffing a couple small towels in the seat back hinge. I’ll report back if it works. I’m suspecting it’s some play in the hinges for the rear seat backs. Anyone else have any luck with this?

I also had a bad vibration/buzz/rattle that was metallic coming from the trunk. I had the car in at the service center to figure it out. They weren’t able to find it. It also only occurred during certain temperature ranges. I finally was able to find what was causing it after a couple years trying to figure it out. If you pull up the cover for the lower trunk compartment, the carpet is wrapped around two beams on the right and left side. It is held in place by some push clips that clip into plastic pieces. Those plastic pieces are clipped onto metal rails. The sound was coming from a vibration of the plastic pieces against those metal rails. I put some thin neoprene between the two and clipped it back in. Noise gone!

I have a third rattle I’m chasing that’s coming from the left rear passenger floorboard area in the doorway. I’ve tried multiple sound deadening items like felt and adhesive tape. Still no luck. If anyone has a solution for this one, please let me know.