Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking Noise when Accelerating/Decelerating

Panzer15

Oct 22, 2021
Los Angeles
My Model 3 makes a clunking noise every time I accelerate or decelerate. The noise is coming from the rear axle/motor area.

When I got the car, new, the noise happens once in a while, and now it happens every time I press the accelerator or slow down. Especially on autopilot, bumper to bumper traffic, all you hear is clunking every second.

Took it to Service Center and they said it’s normal and it’s just a backlash at the drive unit.

Any else experiencing this sound?

Bonk3rs

Nov 28, 2015
Norway
Yes, i have the exact same issue. But its on the front end. Now i know it can be in the rear to 😕
Three times to the SC. No fix.
Gear lash they said, and within specs. BS i said!(I said that to my self, i’m a polite guy)
The thing is that, some has it, and some dont.
My gues is that it is a bad batch of driveshafts or something. At least its not normal.

Panzer15

Oct 22, 2021
Los Angeles
Yes, i have the exact same issue. But its on the front end. Now i know it can be in the rear to 😕
Three times to the SC. No fix.
Gear lash they said, and within specs. BS i said!(I said that to my self, i’m a polite guy)
The thing is that, some has it, and some dont.
My gues is that it is a bad batch of driveshafts or something. At least its not normal.

Same thing. Took it to different SC at least three times. They all claim it was normal.

My last SC visit requested for a video a week before my appointment. Sent him the video and he said I could take in that same day he requested the video. Brought it in and when I arrive, the Service Advisor that I talk to sounded surprise to how loud it was when he was talking to the other people that worked at the service center. The following day got the car back and they said it was within specs and war normal. BS

Before I purchased my M3, I scheduled a test drive and that sound was not present. Also, I asked my friend that has the same year/model/configuration and his doesn’t have that sound, but he heard it from mine.
I guess it’s a miss or hit if you get one with this noise.

Bonk3rs

Nov 28, 2015
Norway
Same recent on model S . They replaced the rear axle but still
There
Yeah, I also had that clunk on my old Model S 85. Turned out they lubed and ree-torqued the driveshafts. That made that click-sound go away.
This cuold be the same thing, but i'm not sure. Neither the SC... :D

I belive it's the CVD-joint that's making the noise.
But some people is determined that this is just gear-lash.
That could be true if every singel model 3 made that same noise. But that is not the case.

Tjdolina

Dec 29, 2021
Baltimore md
Yeah, I also had that clunk on my old Model S 85. Turned out they lubed and ree-torqued the driveshafts. That made that click-sound go away.
This cuold be the same thing, but i'm not sure. Neither the SC... :D

I belive it's the CVD-joint that's making the noise.
But some people is determined that this is just gear-lash.
That could be true if every singel model 3 made that same noise. But that is not the case.
Thx

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC