Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking Noise when Accelerating/Decelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 makes a clunking noise every time I accelerate or decelerate. The noise is coming from the rear axle/motor area.

When I got the car, new, the noise happens once in a while, and now it happens every time I press the accelerator or slow down. Especially on autopilot, bumper to bumper traffic, all you hear is clunking every second.

Took it to Service Center and they said it’s normal and it’s just a backlash at the drive unit.

Any else experiencing this sound?

Yes, i have the exact same issue. But its on the front end. Now i know it can be in the rear to 😕
Three times to the SC. No fix.
Gear lash they said, and within specs. BS i said!(I said that to my self, i’m a polite guy)
The thing is that, some has it, and some dont.
My gues is that it is a bad batch of driveshafts or something. At least its not normal.

Yes, i have the exact same issue. But its on the front end. Now i know it can be in the rear to 😕
Three times to the SC. No fix.
Gear lash they said, and within specs. BS i said!(I said that to my self, i’m a polite guy)
The thing is that, some has it, and some dont.
My gues is that it is a bad batch of driveshafts or something. At least its not normal.

Same thing. Took it to different SC at least three times. They all claim it was normal.

My last SC visit requested for a video a week before my appointment. Sent him the video and he said I could take in that same day he requested the video. Brought it in and when I arrive, the Service Advisor that I talk to sounded surprise to how loud it was when he was talking to the other people that worked at the service center. The following day got the car back and they said it was within specs and war normal. BS

Before I purchased my M3, I scheduled a test drive and that sound was not present. Also, I asked my friend that has the same year/model/configuration and his doesn’t have that sound, but he heard it from mine.
I guess it’s a miss or hit if you get one with this noise.

Same recent on model S . They replaced the rear axle but still
There
Yeah, I also had that clunk on my old Model S 85. Turned out they lubed and ree-torqued the driveshafts. That made that click-sound go away.
This cuold be the same thing, but i'm not sure. Neither the SC... :D

I belive it's the CVD-joint that's making the noise.
But some people is determined that this is just gear-lash.
That could be true if every singel model 3 made that same noise. But that is not the case.

Yeah, I also had that clunk on my old Model S 85. Turned out they lubed and ree-torqued the driveshafts. That made that click-sound go away.
This cuold be the same thing, but i'm not sure. Neither the SC... :D

I belive it's the CVD-joint that's making the noise.
But some people is determined that this is just gear-lash.
That could be true if every singel model 3 made that same noise. But that is not the case.
Thx

It is a MIC model 3 long range. I removed the bottom of the rear seat. The camera is pointing towards the left rear floor.

Update: I took the Tesla to Tesla service to look at it.

Report: "Carried out diagnosis and determined that the vehicle requires a new rear subframe".

Speaking to the tech when collecting the car: So you don't if tighten a few bolts up? No, have to remove motor, suspension and replace the subframe.

Parts are on order.

to be continued...

Reactions: boombap
It is a MIC model 3 long range. I removed the bottom of the rear seat. The camera is pointing towards the left rear floor.

Report: "Carried out diagnosis and determined that the vehicle requires a new rear subframe".

Speaking to the tech when collecting the car: So you don't if tighten a few bolts up? No, have to remove motor, suspension and replace the subframe.

Parts are on order.

to be continued...
That sounds like a massive repair.
My concern is in the front end of the car though. But it might be a similar issue.

This is the clunking noise I get on and off power. It is heard on both left and right sides. Mostly on the left side. It is getting worse. I have booked a service call.

Mine sounds exactly like this! So I’m not going crazy, thank you *whew*. I’ve taken mine to the SC and they “can’t replicate the issue” so they don’t know what to fix. How do I even explain what might need to be done? I’d imagine this is a safety issue.

Parts are on order.

to be continued...
Hi, did they ever fixed the issue? if so, do you mind posting the invoice so I can also show it to the SC? I am having the same issue as yours now. Your help is greatly appreciated.

#6 rant from this person, btw I had the same issue on my model S 2018, just starting to accept with it as facts of life .....by not trying to accelerate & de-accelerates too quick anymore
@ajnestpa Why does a clunk need to be a fact of life? Just get it fixed. Yeah it might take some trial and error but it is solvable.

The acceleration/deceleration clunk on my 2013 S turned out to be loose axels. It also had a bunch of suspension noises including clunks from worn out bushings & bearings. Normal stuff as a car ages and the miles rack up. Hopefully your 2018 doesn't have failing bushings yet but it's probably worth inspecting.

Our S is quiet and smooth again now after tightening the axels and replacing all the control arms. Clunking doesn't have to be a fact of life!