Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking sound from front drivetrain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I back out of my garage and need to turn hard when I do as it’s at 90 degrees with my driveway. To boot, it’s in my basement so there’s a fairly steep slope up to the road. This morning I heard a clunking sound when I backed the car out and turned at the same time. Seemed to come from the left of the front drivetrain. I think I heard it one other time. Car works fine and I didn’t hear the sound after when turning while driving. Any clue what this would be? Thanks.

I have been hearing this myself. front left side, I hear it on the dip in my driveway every 10th time I pull in. Almost sounds like a metal disc popping out and then back into shape, except more clunky... I feel like it has to be related to suspension. I can never replicate it when I want to though.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s overtorqued strut bracket bolts.

I found out some of mine where overtorqued and stretched on one side while doing a coilover install. One was so bad that it actually broke and I had to use a bolt extractor to remove it. On top of that Tesla has an embargo on parts. I was able to get better replacements at the auto parts store that snugs down much better... (M8 1.25x35mm grade 10.9 flange bolt + fender washer)... that replaces 2 of the 4 strut bracket bolts.

Other things to check is the sway bar link, strut to control arm bolt, and strut mount nuts.

Also there’s no Bentley manual on Tesla cause of info embargo... but you can figure out the proper torque via grade + diameter of the threaded portion. Otherwise if you’ve ever put together a tamiya electric RC car... this is no different... just bigger.

Hey all. I back out of my garage and need to turn hard when I do as it’s at 90 degrees with my driveway. To boot, it’s in my basement so there’s a fairly steep slope up to the road. This morning I heard a clunking sound when I backed the car out and turned at the same time. Seemed to come from the left of the front drivetrain. I think I heard it one other time. Car works fine and I didn’t hear the sound after when turning while driving. Any clue what this would be? Thanks.
Sounds like a Universal joint to me.

I noticed this exact noise today when sitting still at the supercharger (the clunky sheet metal pop noise).... I'm starting to doubt whether it is the suspension at all since I can't seem to replicated it by driving over the same area... could just be the cars systems for cooling or electrical contacts or something cycling? Potentially was just coincidence that I was driving over something when I've heard it before?

I noticed this exact noise today when sitting still at the supercharger (the clunky sheet metal pop noise).... I'm starting to doubt whether it is the suspension at all since I can't seem to replicated it by driving over the same area... could just be the cars systems for cooling or electrical contacts or something cycling? Potentially was just coincidence that I was driving over something when I've heard it before?

I’ve heard that before and it’s not the noise I’m talking about. What you are referring to I believe is simply metal plates contracting due the change in temperature from the heat generated by supercharging.

My old P85D had a similar problem - and there are several threads on that if you search them. It was a simple adjustment at the service center (if I remember correctly just tightening something on the steering mechanism). There was also a service bulletin about that. I would not be surprised if this is happening to you too. Have the service look at it.

I can hear a clunking sound coming from underneath the car when the car is
parked. When I went into the garage yesterday, the car clunked. Then about a
minute later it made the clunking sound again. If you walk up to your car (with your phone) when it is asleep listen for the sound as your car wakes up.

I asked someone at the Tesla delivery center and this is what they said...

"The clunking you are hearing could be the vents on the vehicle climate
control system, as it will operate even when you are not in the vehicle to
maintain internal battery temperature."

I was able to replicate this clunk several times backing up and pulling forward on a hill while turning slightly. It sounds like the oil canning sound from the battery pack heard when supercharging or hard driving when the battery heats up. In the heating/charging case it seems to be due to thermal expansion/contraction of the pack housing causing the metal to pop. As the battery pack is part of the vehicle structure it may be flexing slightly with the frame causing this same metallic pop in the floor pan area when turning.

It is definitely a different but similar sound to what the high voltage contractor clunk sounds like when the car powers up and shuts down.

Last edited:
I can hear a clunking sound coming from underneath the car when the car is
parked...

Isn't that the high-voltage relays? When they car is "sleeping" (10-20 minutes after you park) it disconnects the high voltage circuit to preserve power. When the car is woken up for any reason, such as when you grab the door handle or open the Tesla app, then you'll hear the contacts closing to re-enable the high voltage circuit.

Reactions: HeatproofGenie

I have the same exact issue - I only notice the sound when I'm going over a bump (like a speed bump) or dip (like a drainage path for water) and especially when turning. Most common scenarios are when I turn into a driveway or turn a corner where there's one of those drainage dips in an intersection.

I also started getting significant steering wheel vibration at 65 - 70 mph on Monday. It suddenly showed up - before that the car was rock solid. It feels a lot like the lane departure warning, but maybe 50% less vibration. I turned the lane departure system off just to make sure it wasn't misbehaving - no change. I also notice that the clunking in the front left has started to increase significantly this week. I wonder if the two are somehow related. I have a dual motor model 3 with VIN 96XXX - took delivery in August.

I have a service appointment scheduled for Dec 18 - I'll keep you posted.

I can hear a similar sound on my P3D. When I got the car, I immediately noticed it and went to the SC. They ended up changing the front drive unit because they told me their the space between the gears in the Front Drive unit were out of specs. When they, are they, is a bit too much travel movement and the gears will "clunk" when touching each other.

When I got the car back with the new drive unit, the noise was still there but less present. He told me all Model 3 do this and it's normal, especially for the P3D. I was a bit skeptical so he offered to take me on a test drive with another P3D from the SC and I heard exactly the same noise.

I'm still having the noise and it's bothering me a bit, really not sure if it's really normal.

To reproduce the sounds, it's easy: get the car on a small hill. Stop the car and press the accelerator pedal a bit to accelerate from 0 to 3mph in a short burst, several times. You will hear the clunk sound that you describe.

Check out the video and let me know if your clunking sound is the same.

Last edited:
I have the same exact issue - I only notice the sound when I'm going over a bump (like a speed bump) or dip (like a drainage path for water) and especially when turning. Most common scenarios are when I turn into a driveway or turn a corner where there's one of those drainage dips in an intersection.

I also started getting significant steering wheel vibration at 65 - 70 mph on Monday. It suddenly showed up - before that the car was rock solid. It feels a lot like the lane departure warning, but maybe 50% less vibration. I turned the lane departure system off just to make sure it wasn't misbehaving - no change. I also notice that the clunking in the front left has started to increase significantly this week. I wonder if the two are somehow related. I have a dual motor model 3 with VIN 96XXX - took delivery in August.

I have a service appointment scheduled for Dec 18 - I'll keep you posted.

Hey all - just an update on this. The vibration was due to a defective tire. The tech found foam separating from the inside of the tire, which was causing it to be hopelessly out of balance.

I have a 2021 Plaid which I got July 1, 2021. Yes I got one of the first ones. It has almost 20,000 miles. I get an fairly loud clunk from the left front.
It only happens from a stop. Only in the forward direction. I can also feel something "break loose". The trouble is it only happens occasionally. I suspect a CV joint problem. I am going to let service know about it. Not sure they can do anything since it doesn't happen very often and I can't reproduce it at will.
Anybody else have any insight?
Thanks
Bruce