TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Clunking sound" in reverse

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by tennisman, Feb 13, 2015.

1. tennisman

tennisman Member

after several days of having the car sit in the garage not being used, I've noticed that when I put the car in reverse to back out,the car seems to make a "clunking sound" and the shift to reverse in the transmission seems to not be "smooth". Has anybody experienced this - not sure if this is normal due to not using the car for several days.

2. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

What you are probably experiencing is totally normal. The brakes stick. Particularly when the car is put away wet. No harm is being done but it is unnerving the first couple of times it occurs.

3. tennisman

tennisman Member

Thanks for the quick reply. You're right - it is a little bit unnerving when it happens, but glad it's normal.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm not sure "normal" is the right word, but it certainly is very common. I don't think I've ever had a car where the brakes seize as much and as often as they do on my Model S.