Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunks, Drones and Milling sounds: Just had a drive unit fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2013 P85 with 31k miles just had the drive unit fail. We had experienced the "clunk" when lifting off acceleration before regen started; our SC was contacted and a 'fix' employed that took care of it. We were not informed of what the fix was. The "droning" at speed >60 began to get more noticeable since but there was no milling sound, as demonstrated on TMC anyhow. The milling I listened to posted to Soundcloud really did sound sort of like cicadas in its variation, pitch and when it occured was not like our droning sound.

Last night, wife driving home at 11pm and heard a thunk in the rear, then a clear drive unit fail. 1 hour for the flatbed but Tesla service knew on the phone right away what it was as did I.

I spoke to the service center in PDX today (who happened to have a DU on hand) and asked a few questions:

1. You have been replacing a lot of drive units, it seems like mostly for some abnormal sounds and not drive failures?
A: Correct, failures are rare. We are being preventive in replacing them.

1. Which sound is the one to worry about, when do we call them?
A: (not clear) call anytime and will have a technician ride along and send any concerns to engineering.

2. What changes are made to deal with the clunk, the drone or the milling? What revisions have been made?
A: I don't know and we'd have to get an engineer to help us answer that question.
2b: Can I?
A: Um, well, not at this er...we will know more soon. We are a new company and constantly improving.

3. Should I worry every 30k miles? How about after the warranty is up?
A: We don't know and are a new company and constantly improving. You are under warranty for now.

4. Is this a refurb DU and which revision is this, A-M?
A: It is a refurb, and it is "version "P".

5. If we were to trade in our car, should we get a dual motor or avoid a P?
A: The duals are too new to know. We have been replacing both standard and Ps.

6. Is this same DU revision in the Model X?
A: We don't know at this time, as a service center we don't have all the specs. We will start seeing them soon and will then know but I expect they will be the same for the large DU.

Overall, they are very nice about this but...they have been well coached in responses. They seem to be all over the DU replacement issue, so it must not be rare even if actual failures are. I think others on the forum have had great speculation about the sounds not coming from just one thing and that one? plus the failures are due to unexpected wear occurring in the differential/transaxle. It seems like the use and complexity of an induction motor instead of brushless is perhaps the reason for their success but also this issue. I can see this going one of two ways, and neither will we know up front. There is too much for them to lose to be transparent.

1. Engineering fixable: They are on revision P...they are learning from each replacement and refining for long-life drive units. Their earlier efforts in cars with 3-4 replacements will become rare due to what they have learned and improvements made. They will be more and more transparent and explanatory about the issue.

or

2. More complicated than they can handle: These are the basis for all Model S and X, if not their business secret sauce on top of their battery. Thus they have to string everyone along as they grasp at straws and keep seeing issues providing as little information to owners/public as possible. This worries me in regards to their solvency and long-term plan. I'm concerned their actions sort of reflect crisis management?

• Informative
Reactions: xborg
Would love to see the actual bearings used in a DU. Prior comments about electrical current causing premature bearing wear and failure are well known failure modes. Some bearing systems actually use liquid metal seals to conduct electricity and heat away from bearing. Years ago it would be mercury. Now it's often gallium/indium/tin alloys.

These DU issues are starting to drive me nuts. Does anyone have any idea how high the VIN's go until DU issues aren't really present? It appears that almost all of the DU replacements were 2012/2013 vehicles. Or is that just due to the fact that these vehicles will expectedly have the highest mileage.

I just got my DU replaced. Picked up the car Dec. 2014. I put 30K miles then I started hearing the noise.

There are multiple threads about the DU but from what I've gathered so far, it happens mostly to Performance models and 2012-2014 built. SC told me after they replaced my DU with a brand new and improved DU, whatever that means.

My main concern is after the 8 year warranty has expired and this same issue happens again, how much will this cost me? Parts and Labor? I'm planning to keep my #PearlWhiteModelS for a loooong time.

SC told me after they replaced my DU with a brand new and improved DU, whatever that means.

It should mean it is a brand new and improved DU made to latest spec which has fixes to problems that bugged older spec'ed DUs.
As opposed to rebuild older DU, that failed to some other owner and was sent back to mothership, pulled apart, studied and inspected, replaced failed and problematic components, reassembled and re-warranted as 'refurbished'.

My main concern is after the 8 year warranty has expired and this same issue happens again, how much will this cost me? Pa
Assumption 1: brand new and improved DU will fail after 8 year warranty has expired
Assumption 2: you will still own this same specimen
Assumption 3: there won't be any alternative to replacing the whole DU
Assumption 4: you will have to pay the full price of a new DU

My crystal ball does allow inputting so many assumptions so I cannot help you there.

It should mean it is a brand new and improved DU made to latest spec which has fixes to problems that bugged older spec'ed DUs.
As opposed to rebuild older DU, that failed to some other owner and was sent back to mothership, pulled apart, studied and inspected, replaced failed and problematic components, reassembled and re-warranted as 'refurbished'.

I'm totally fine with them installing refurb'd DU's, providing one significant caveat - they know exactly what the failure mechanism was and they correct it. To date, I honestly don't think that's ever been accomplished. If it was, we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

1. They know exactly what the problems are.
2. A permanent fix costs real money, and the Tesla way is to try to find a cheaper fix, AKA "patch".
3. They will end up spending multiples doing "patches", rather than fixing it right the first time.

I'm totally fine with them installing refurb'd DU's, providing one significant caveat - they know exactly what the failure mechanism was and they correct it. To date, I honestly don't think that's ever been accomplished. If it was, we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

I agree with that. I've had one replaced in late October 2013, but don't know whether it was new or refurbished or what "version" it was:

11-6-2015 10-19-46 AM.jpg

I've been waiting for about a year now on another replacement, and was able to at least get them to note this on a Service Order in July of this year:

11-6-2015 10-33-36 AM.jpg

We keep our cars a long time. Would like to buy mid 2016 to replace 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee but the lack of information on failure rates and replacement costs makes me nervous. If a refurb drive unit was only $2k it would be much less a concern.

All new cars Tesla sells have this (i.e. so do the 70s), only the 60s had less warranty (I forget, 8 year 100k mile? 125k mile?)
60 has been 8 years/125k miles. Recent 7.0 software update now has 8 years/unlimited miles on the warranty section of the on-screen manual. Hoping this is correct since I will hit 125k miles at only 6 years based on current driving. Seems like a 60 should put less wear on the drive unit given a lower power output and lower curb weight. I've got about 60k miles on my current DU (had the original replaced for intermittent failure at only 3k miles)

I just brought my P85 back in for a 5th service at 69k. Had the droning and the clunk was getting pretty bad. They swapped out the entire drive unit for the droning, which apparently also fixed the clunk? They really need to get this resolved. Having a DU and half-shafts that only last 10-15k miles is getting old. I hope this 3rd (or is it 4th I can't remember anymore) DU is the last one I'll ever need. It took them a week to get this work done and I got a nice fully loaded MX P100DL (which I greatly appreciate) but I worry about the costs in man hours and miles on their loaner each time this comes up for long term company viability... seems semi-unsustainable to keep having to do this so often. And I don't even drive my car that hard... I'm also 90% highway miles.

Concern: Customer: states there is a drone type noise above 65mph

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Drive Unit - Rear - Large
Clicking sound found to be internal to drive unit requiring replacement of drive unit.
Replace rear drive unit.
Completed.

Part Quantity
ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS
(1025598-00-P)

ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER (1003783-00-B) 1
SIDE MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY (1028034
-00-B)

----------------------------------
Concern: Customer: states there is a clunk/tick noise coming from the rear

Pay Type: Customer Pay
MISC Items: NO LABOR PERFORMED
Sounds in this task related to correction in job 2 (above).

• Informative
Reactions: Brian-MS90D
It took them a week to replace the DU? They did mine in less than a day...
Yep - not sure if they had to wait on parts or what... They also tried to fix a water leak in my trunk.... I drove through some serious rain on a road trip to arkansas and when I got to my destination and popped the trunk water poured out of both handles and the latch and continued to drain for the next day or so... I'm sure that might have contributed to the week at the SvC

Our 2013 P85 with 31k miles just had the drive unit fail. We had experienced the "clunk" when lifting off acceleration before regen started; our SC was contacted and a 'fix' employed that took care of it. We were not informed of what the fix was. The "droning" at speed >60 began to get more noticeable since but there was no milling sound, as demonstrated on TMC anyhow. The milling I listened to posted to Soundcloud really did sound sort of like cicadas in its variation, pitch and when it occured was not like our droning sound.

Last night, wife driving home at 11pm and heard a thunk in the rear, then a clear drive unit fail. 1 hour for the flatbed but Tesla service knew on the phone right away what it was as did I.

I spoke to the service center in PDX today (who happened to have a DU on hand) and asked a few questions:

1. You have been replacing a lot of drive units, it seems like mostly for some abnormal sounds and not drive failures?
A: Correct, failures are rare. We are being preventive in replacing them.

1. Which sound is the one to worry about, when do we call them?
A: (not clear) call anytime and will have a technician ride along and send any concerns to engineering.

2. What changes are made to deal with the clunk, the drone or the milling? What revisions have been made?
A: I don't know and we'd have to get an engineer to help us answer that question.
2b: Can I?
A: Um, well, not at this er...we will know more soon. We are a new company and constantly improving.

3. Should I worry every 30k miles? How about after the warranty is up?
A: We don't know and are a new company and constantly improving. You are under warranty for now.

4. Is this a refurb DU and which revision is this, A-M?
A: It is a refurb, and it is "version "P".

5. If we were to trade in our car, should we get a dual motor or avoid a P?
A: The duals are too new to know. We have been replacing both standard and Ps.

6. Is this same DU revision in the Model X?
A: We don't know at this time, as a service center we don't have all the specs. We will start seeing them soon and will then know but I expect they will be the same for the large DU.

Overall, they are very nice about this but...they have been well coached in responses. They seem to be all over the DU replacement issue, so it must not be rare even if actual failures are. I think others on the forum have had great speculation about the sounds not coming from just one thing and that one? plus the failures are due to unexpected wear occurring in the differential/transaxle. It seems like the use and complexity of an induction motor instead of brushless is perhaps the reason for their success but also this issue. I can see this going one of two ways, and neither will we know up front. There is too much for them to lose to be transparent.

1. Engineering fixable: They are on revision P...they are learning from each replacement and refining for long-life drive units. Their earlier efforts in cars with 3-4 replacements will become rare due to what they have learned and improvements made. They will be more and more transparent and explanatory about the issue.

or

2. More complicated than they can handle: These are the basis for all Model S and X, if not their business secret sauce on top of their battery. Thus they have to string everyone along as they grasp at straws and keep seeing issues providing as little information to owners/public as possible. This worries me in regards to their solvency and long-term plan. I'm concerned their actions sort of reflect crisis management?
Dude you have a 2013 - the drive units were not reliable.

they have to string everyone along as they grasp at straws and keep seeing issues providing as little information to owners/public as possible. This worries me in regards to their solvency and long-term plan. I'm concerned their actions sort of reflect crisis management?

Huh? You didn't get an engineering presentation about drive unit design complete with an executive summary - and you think therefore that - wahhhhh? lololololololololololol I been around plenty of luxury car dealers and the info you just got is just as detailed as any I've ever gotten on failed Mercedes or BMW systems. Jesus, relax man.

We keep our cars a long time. Would like to buy mid 2016 to replace 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee but the lack of information on failure rates and replacement costs makes me nervous. If a refurb drive unit was only $2k it would be much less a concern.
Are you aware the units have an EIGHT YEAR UNLIMITED MILE WARRANTY LIKE TESLA HAS BEEN SHOUTING TO ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN ON PLANET EARTH SINCE THE MODEL S CAME OUT ALMOST 5 YEARS AGO?