Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cluster restarting every time I go to the car - Is this Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I go to the car to go somewhere I have to sit up and wait to 2-3 minutes for dash to become active.
It starts with the Tesla T and takes a while to bootup. is this normal?
it never used to do this before but now it's been doing it everytime.
No i am not coming to the car after a day or two. It happens same day even after 2-3 hours. Doesn't look normal.

2017 Tesla Model S 75D (March built)

Last edited:
What model year is your S? Cars manufactured before about April 2018 have a defective data storage card.

Your problem is a common symptom of a failing memory card. Make a service appointment SOON. When the card dies, your car is dead, too. Then it has to be flat-bedded to a Service Center.

Everyone seems quick to blame the eMMC for every little problem. I don't think the symptom he's describing is related to that. There was a firmware update a couple of years ago where this was introduced and I believe it's some sort of a "feature" as Tesla would call it. It doesn't happen every time but I believe it's a quick reboot occasionally that maybe resets the computer in an effort to keep them responding quickly. In this instance, I don't know that a fresh eMMC would make the symptom go away as I experience it in all of my cars and have for a number of years now across several specimens.

I'm not sure where you heard that but I don't think it's true.
See attached pic. The car says this.
“Energy savings mode activated during night time hours”

Attachments

• 33367E9B-4520-4A55-9EC0-603487C83A99.jpeg
    33367E9B-4520-4A55-9EC0-603487C83A99.jpeg
    613.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Informative
Reactions: EVCarGUy
Check your Energy Savings setting - if it's turned on, the instrument cluster can take longer to start up.
I make sure data saver is off and always connected is enabled on every car I get and it still happens. I, too, think that this started early last summer as someone previously posted. Not 100% sure on that part though as I thought it started sooner. It just know that it's annoying and I don't think it's any indication of any problems.

Reactions: rickyjb
When the MCU fails it can kill the car. When mine died it would not allow me to shift into drive. Everything looked normal but it would not move. Luckily I was at the service center discussing how to schedule the replacement due to constant re-boots when this happened. They were telling me to come back the following week but when it would not move they had to take it.

My guideline in many situations - Are you looking for an adventure or a reliable tool?

If you’re willing to enjoy unexpected automotive adventures, delay addressing troubling symptoms of a widely known problem. Then you can be excited, not frustrated, when ever-more-probable failure strands you or blows up your schedule.

If you want your car to provide reliable transportation, then promptly resolve problems that are known to disable it or impair control.

Obviously, if funds are tight, then one may be compelled or tempted to take the first choice.

At least tell those depending on you or the vehicle, “The car is acting flaky. People say it may be a symptom of imminent failure. I’ve decided to delay fixing it until March or later, when Tesla is expected to start a recall program.”

I’m sure Tesla will reimburse those who experienced MCU1 problems and replaced the eMMC before then. If you upgrade to MCU2, they will probably only reimburse the cost of eMMC replacement.

Last edited:
My eMMC was fixed last November (Tesla Service Center replaced the daughterboard), and I still have this problem. So I have just turned the energy saving off. Also Teslamate complains a lot about disconnects from streaming API, see Too Many Disconnections from Streaming API · Discussion #1359 · adriankumpf/teslamate. I have no idea if these issues are related.

The nasty side-effects of not having energy saving on:
* There's quite a bit of 'vampire drain'
* Teslamate has problems recording beginnings of drives, as it aggressively tries to put the car asleep, and does not poll the car while doing so

This week I did a small survey on the Finnish Tesla Owner's FB group. I got 80 answers from Model S owners having older than 3/2018 car with MCU1:
* 2 people say they have energy saving turned on, and generally no problems with slow IC startup
* 32 people say they have energy saving on, and have at least sometimes slow IC startup
* 46 people say they have turned energy saving off because of this problem