Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNBC Model X a design flaw?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bigger problem I expect is ice-buildup. A horizontal plane such as the roof will gather ice, especially when temperatures hover around freezing and/or when car is heated and the heat melts snow on top which then freezes between the car and the upper snow on the roof.

Yes, that might be a real concern in some cases. A conventional door can get real stuck with just a litte bit of ice along the seam. So unless there are some heating elements or non-stick coating it might be troublesome. On the other hand the double hinge arrangement might act as a strong lever to break away ice.

We'll just have to wait and see...

They are states were snow removal from car roof top is required by law: NJ, NY, CT

I think it's probably close to a universal law. But there are speed limit laws too... enforcement is a whole other matter.

- - - Updated - - -

In my neck of the woods, we carry a snow brush and actually use our arms and the snow brush to manually remove snow from the roof of a vehicle before driving. I don't see why it would be any different with an X.

I do as well, but unless I remember to put my snow brush outside the car when I park at work (which I do if I remember), I even get a big dump of snow inside the car and on the seats just from opening a standard swing out door to retrieve my brush.

As I say, however, no one knows exactly how the X doors will perform with snow on the roof so we'll have to wait for some real world experience.

Yes, that might be a real concern in some cases. A conventional door can get real stuck with just a litte bit of ice along the seam. So unless there are some heating elements or non-stick coating it might be troublesome. On the other hand the double hinge arrangement might act as a strong lever to break away ice.

Agreed. This is speculative.

On the Model S the opening of the door handles is not an issue in cold weather but surprisingly, again, closing can be if ice forms on the handle while extended. It happened to me a few times last winter. Another thing that forced to bring out the hair dryer was folding mirrors due to their planar design. I have not had to resort to such ever with Germans' mirrors or the like.

Electric trunk on Model S suffers from ice similar to Germans, no worse no better.

The thousands of Model S owners in Norway don't seem to be overly concerned about their door handles in the winter. I'm sure they get stuck on occasion, as they do in many cars (I had a Ford Merkur in Toronto that could be problematic) but it doesn't seem to be a major issue.

The problem isn't opening the handles. They explode open. The problem is, they can accumulate ice when extended and refuse to close. This is my own experience, parking outside. But sure, I wouldn't call the handles a big problem in winter. Tesla's side mirrors are a bit bad design because folded ice can accumulate on their tip, preventing unfolding.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I don't think the door handles are a problem. Or potentially even the falcon wing doors themselves opening. I just wonder if, when they do, will the interior get a big dump of snow falling in.

If electric trunks (like on Model S) are any indication, opening them isn't the problem. Closing them is as ice forms and drops to the seals and the gentle electronics refuse to budge. Of course pre-opening roof-based hatches can require more cleaning than side-doors too.

It is the around freezing temps that is the hardest in this regard but melting caused by heated car can also cause it in lower temps.

Last edited by a moderator: