Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNBC reporting 3 delivery pushed to mid-2018 or later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is nothing new, just another piece of misinformed click-bait online "journalism".

Article now states, quote: "Today's website update does not reflect any change in our plans," said a Tesla representative in a statement to CNBC. "We still plan to begin Model 3 production in mid-2017, and we adjusted the delivery date on our marketing page to reflect more accurate timing for new/future reservation holders."

Kudos to Fred Lambert at electrek.co for clarifying at Tesla Model 3 is not delayed, CNBC misreports and sends Tesla (TSLA) stock crashing

Reactions: Red Sage and EinSV
Well spotted. Here is how I interpret it.

1. Pre-reveal US orders will all be complete before mid 2018.
2. New US orders will be delivered after mid 2018
3. Some of pre-reveal non-US orders will be completed by mid 2018

Actually, now that I re-read the verbiage, this does sound right, my bad.

Having said that, we're still far away from the expected first deliveries, so my initial read may end up being correct :)

That's not how the article originally read. The article originally read that Model 3 production was delayed until Mid-2018.
Reminds me of that recent article where the author (in)famously stated that upcoming Tesla/SolarCity solar roof product will be used on the roof of Tesla cars to recharge the batteries. Readers were quick to point out the error and the article was subsequently revised. :)

Have to say though that Tesla's official statement that new Model 3 orders (as of today) will be delivered mid 2018 is significant. I know this is done partly to set expectations for those who pre-order now but it gives an indication of the timeline of what Tesla anticipates happening - this is good progress IMO because at the reveal, we simply didn't have this level of detail, certainly nothing official.

For non-US orders, we still see "Production is planned to begin in 2017". I think this is also significant because as we have seen, Tesla has been updating MyTesla according to region. Several possibilities likely here IMO. 1. This message might get updated again in the coming days to reflect more realistic production schedules for each region. 2. They aim to start non-US production regional queues in 2017 - perhaps a few test samples or demonstration cars.

You have to understand, most of us here discussing Model 3 have a pre-order or a Model S but Tesla will be thinking ahead at a much bigger market. It is one thing to have a reveal or two to show off this car to Tesla fans but just imagine the difference it would make in having demonstrations cars for test drives - that will be the way to reach out to new buyers quickly. So essentially, I predict that soon after the first deliveries in the US, Tesla will start (in parallel) very limited non-US samples mainly for testing and as overseas demo cars.

Hold on everyone. Its not all clickbait. Tesla published a Model 3 comment yesterday. WSJ, Reuters and Fidelityreported it up correctly.

CNBC had earlier reported that deliveries of all Model 3, including those booked previously, had been pushed to mid-2018 or later. http://cnb.cx/2ehXuRY (Reporting by Laharee Chatterjee in Bengaluru; Editing by Anil D'Silva)

Here it is correctly from stock news on Fidelity.

Tesla Extends Delivery Date of Model 3 for New Reservations
BY Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
— 2:55 PM ET 10/18/2016

The wait for Tesla Motors Inc.'s (TSLA) upcoming Model 3 sedan just got longer for some buyers. New reservations for the vehicle won't be filled until mid-2018 or later, according to the company's website.

Prospective customers who already had reserved a Model 3 could expect delivery in late 2017, as Tesla previously had promised, a company spokeswoman said Tuesday. Tesla has said that 373,000 Model 3s were reserved.

Tesla this week posted the later delivery schedule for new reservations on its website, which suggests continuing strong interest in the Model 3. Last week, the company's website said that delivery of the $35,000 sedan would begin in late 2017, according to a tesla.com, a nonprofit that archives webpages.

"Today's website update doesn't reflect any change in our plans," Tesla said in a statement. "We still plan to begin Model 3 deliveries in late 2017, and we adjusted the date on our marketing page to reflect more accurate timing for new/ future reservation holders."

Early demand for the car led Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk in May to move up his goal of manufacturing 500,000 vehicles a year to 2018 from 2020.

Tesla's factory in Fremont, Calif., made about 50,000 vehicles last year. The company is working on plans to double the facility's space, allowing for increased production.

Write to Tim Higgins at [email protected]

Last edited: