Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNBC's #1 Disruptor: Elon Musk Interview

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There also were some prescient remarks about the role of the equity markets, along the lines of how a publicly traded company can be a "mood disruptor", and cause its work force to spend more time and emotion than they should looking at how well! :), or how poorly! :( the stock price is doing at any particular time.

To which point one of the interviewers aptly inquired about how appropriate a true long-term investor like the insurance industry could elegantly match its investment horizon to a long-term project like SpaceX.

Excellent interview!

The interviewer mentioned:
Israel's Phinergy Tests 1,100-Mile Range Electric Car; Aluminum-Air Battery System (VIDEO) | Jewish & Israel News Algemeiner.com
As expected, from the article: "The aluminum battery has to be replaced every few months, but its components are recyclable."

I wonder what the energy requirements and costs to have to recycle the battery so frequently?

Alcoa Teams With Phinergy to Develop Claimed 1,000-Mile Aluminum Air Battery Technology (w/video) | Inside EVs
"...carbon dioxide released within the battery corrodes aluminum. Second, the battery must be refilled with water once every 200 or so miles. Third, the battery consumes the aluminum plates over time. These plates must be replaced every 1,000 miles or so..."

Good interview. No silly, irrelevant questions asked.

Surprised though about Elon's first response to the questions about AI. For a visionary technologist (who's incidentally also positive about human genomics), the fear that he expressed about AI was surprising. Am only half-joking here but, is Elon getting too old to be optimistic about something like AI? Or, did watching Terminator in his formative years scar him for good?! :)

Surprised though about Elon's first response to the questions about AI. For a visionary technologist (who's incidentally also positive about human genomics), the fear that he expressed about AI was surprising. Am only half-joking here but, is Elon getting too old to be optimistic about something like AI? Or, did watching Terminator in his formative years scar him for good?! :)

I think his concerns are justified. Looking decades into the future it is possible that we could develop a machine that is an independent conscious entity that would be beyond our control. This concern is nothing new; Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke and many other writers have imagined such a development long before the Terminator hit the theaters.

One can be optimistic and afraid at the same time, and I think that is the only rational way to approach AI.

What I don't understand is how just being an investor in Vicarious is going to provide him with special access and understanding. But I suppose being at least a little bit "on the inside" is better than nothing.

Maybe he read Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream." That's pretty much a worst case scenario for AI.

I highly recommend James Barrat's Our Final Invention. It's a very alarming book that basically concludes that AI if taken to high level will end human life. Once machines can think for themselves, invent and build new versions of themselves, and have independent access to all resources and knowledge they will conclude that human beings are a pox on the planet and conclude we're no longer necessary. At that point we're finished.

I feel that the advent of AI is as natural a progression of human "evolution" in much the same way that cloning and genetic engineering are. I remain optimistic that, one day, biological humans can safely and productively coexist with "artificial" intelligence.

Indeed. And I'm sure those living in the post-AI world will look at all our alarmist movies with the same eye roll and head-shake as we do when looking at all the old medical drawings of people turning into pigs and cows because animal organs were used for their transplants.