TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CNBC's #1 Disruptor: Elon Musk Interview

Discussion in 'Video' started by Soflason, Jun 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Soflason

Soflason Member

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

What a fantastic interview. These interviewers asked great questions which led to interesting answers.

3. Phil Seastrand

He's definitely not your typical CEO... Very impressive.

4. Tasdevil

Tasdevil Member

Love it how he references to films/tv which were written in fiction.
    Eg: AI and terminator
    Superchargers still working in a zombie apocalypse
    I love the who cares what people think attitude.

5. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

I'm not a groupie or a hero worshiper. But, he's awesome.

6. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

There also were some prescient remarks about the role of the equity markets, along the lines of how a publicly traded company can be a "mood disruptor", and cause its work force to spend more time and emotion than they should looking at how well! :), or how poorly! :( the stock price is doing at any particular time.

To which point one of the interviewers aptly inquired about how appropriate a true long-term investor like the insurance industry could elegantly match its investment horizon to a long-term project like SpaceX.

Excellent interview!

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The interviewer mentioned:
    Israel's Phinergy Tests 1,100-Mile Range Electric Car; Aluminum-Air Battery System (VIDEO) | Jewish & Israel News Algemeiner.com
    As expected, from the article: "The aluminum battery has to be replaced every few months, but its components are recyclable."

I wonder what the energy requirements and costs to have to recycle the battery so frequently?

Alcoa Teams With Phinergy to Develop Claimed 1,000-Mile Aluminum Air Battery Technology (w/video) | Inside EVs
    "...carbon dioxide released within the battery corrodes aluminum. Second, the battery must be refilled with water once every 200 or so miles. Third, the battery consumes the aluminum plates over time. These plates must be replaced every 1,000 miles or so..."

8. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I know this is a Tesla forum, but Solarcity has my interest right now too, with their big push for high-efficiency panels.

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Good interview. No silly, irrelevant questions asked.

Surprised though about Elon's first response to the questions about AI. For a visionary technologist (who's incidentally also positive about human genomics), the fear that he expressed about AI was surprising. Am only half-joking here but, is Elon getting too old to be optimistic about something like AI? Or, did watching Terminator in his formative years scar him for good?! :)

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I think his concerns are justified. Looking decades into the future it is possible that we could develop a machine that is an independent conscious entity that would be beyond our control. This concern is nothing new; Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke and many other writers have imagined such a development long before the Terminator hit the theaters.

One can be optimistic and afraid at the same time, and I think that is the only rational way to approach AI.

What I don't understand is how just being an investor in Vicarious is going to provide him with special access and understanding. But I suppose being at least a little bit "on the inside" is better than nothing.

11. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Maybe he read Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream." That's pretty much a worst case scenario for AI.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I remember that story. Scary. Ellison was a hell of a writer.

Musk has said that he read a lot of sci-fi when he was a kid.

13. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I highly recommend James Barrat's Our Final Invention. It's a very alarming book that basically concludes that AI if taken to high level will end human life. Once machines can think for themselves, invent and build new versions of themselves, and have independent access to all resources and knowledge they will conclude that human beings are a pox on the planet and conclude we're no longer necessary. At that point we're finished.

14. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

15. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Guys. If the AI is really more intelligent than us then there is absolutely no way we could even begin to guess what its actions would be and why. I remain 100% agnostic, but hopeful.

16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I feel that the advent of AI is as natural a progression of human "evolution" in much the same way that cloning and genetic engineering are. I remain optimistic that, one day, biological humans can safely and productively coexist with "artificial" intelligence.

17. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Indeed. And I'm sure those living in the post-AI world will look at all our alarmist movies with the same eye roll and head-shake as we do when looking at all the old medical drawings of people turning into pigs and cows because animal organs were used for their transplants.