Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNET's favorite luxury and tech features for 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, many of these features are missing from Teslas:
Our favorite tech and luxury features of 2018 - Roadshow

Summary:
Cooled seats (missing)
Upscale key fobs
Self-closing doors (missing)
Suspension nose lifts
Massaging seats (missing)
Bowers & Wilkins stereos (missing)
Power sunshades (missing)
Color head-up displays (missing)
Porsche's Sport Response button (missing)
Blind spot monitoring (half baked)
Mercedes-Benz AirScarf (missing)
Burmester stereos (missing)
Mercedes' Magic Sky Control (missing)
Heated steering wheel
Cadillac Super Cruise Promo
Intelligent infotainment presets

I really hope Tesla steps up their game with a Model S refresh.

• Funny
Reactions: xyeahtony
Am I supposed to be concerned about what CNET considers 'luxury features'?

I don't know, you are the one who clicked on the link.

Yeah, I'll never buy another car without power sunshades.

I guess you are one of those people who doesn't like anything that could be considered criticism of Tesla. I bought a Tesla even without all these features, so clearly I think it's the best car available and never said any of these are deal breakers. That doesn't mean it couldn't be better.

Just to show you how smart the writer is they fall to mention the Model X as having self closing doors. He also leaves Telsa off as having cool fobs.

BSM is the must have from that list. It is inexcusable that a Tesla in 2018 doesn't have it.

I really wish that Tesla would have a HUD. I was honestly surprised when I found out they didn't offer it. In my opinion it adds safety to car and increases the time of your eyes on the road rather than looking down.

While I miss my massaging seats from my Audi, it should have been noted that it is a hard feature to get right in a car. The MB and BMW massaging seats suck. So is having a crappy feature better than not having it?

Tesla's upgraded sound system is good enough for a car and for the vast majority of sources people listen to.

At the end of the day, just like with anything in life, there are trade offs. There is no perfect car. And what one person calls perfect may be mediocre to someone else.

personally not a fan of self-closing doors. They add extra weight, and since I keep my cars a looooong time, its just more stuff to break.

The ding for not having B&W sound system is kinda silly. As long as Tesla uses a high quality vendor for the Premium upgrade, it becomes a matter of personal preference. Plus, at 50 mph, can CNET really hear the difference between B&W and say, Harmon Kardon?

Summary:
Cooled seats (missing)
Now available on P100
Upscale key fobs Standard. Model 3 has Bluetooth from smart phones.
Self-closing doors (missing). Available on Model X. Self closing front and Falcon wing doors and hatch.
Suspension nose lifts. Entire car lifts and lowers with air suspension.
Massaging seats (missing). Good. They are terrible on most cars.
Bowers & Wilkins stereos (missing). Upgraded Premium Stereo Optional.
Power sunshades (missing)
Color head-up displays (missing). Amazing full color central and facing driver adjustable displays. No dash buttons necessary.
Porsche's Sport Response button (missing). Sport and comfort settings standard.
Blind spot monitoring (half baked). All around ultrasonic sensors with audible and visual warnings. Standard rear view high quality monitor with alignment lines.
Mercedes-Benz AirScarf (missing). N/A.Only useful on convertibles. Tesla does not produce a convertible.
Burmester stereos (missing). Again. Tesla has their own premium stereo option.
Mercedes' Magic Sky Control (missing)
Heated steering wheel. Optional with premium package.
Cadillac Super Cruise Promo. Tesla are far advanced speed control and Autopilot
Intelligent infotainment presets. Tesla infotainment has presets.

Setting aside that articles like this are simple click bates, with little new information provided.

Reactions: GatorGuy
NOTE: The CNET article has nothing to do with Tesla and simply lists their favorite car tech. I'm the one who summarized the list and noted whether they were available on Tesla. I should have specified Model S specifically since that's what I own and that's what I intended.

Once again, it's amazing how many people on this forum go out of their way to defend Tesla and bash any criticism. I love my Model S, but I still would like to see many of these features added or improved. Let's face it, when it comes to interior quality and features the Model S is not on par with the top German vehicles (Mercedes S, BMW 7, Audio A8). Sure, it has some great features those cars don't have, but I formerly owned a Hyundai Equus and the interior on that car was definitely more comfortable and had some nice features that are missing on the MS. I still love my MS more overall, but that doesn't mean for $100K+ we shouldn't demand more.

Other manufacturers are working on their Tesla competitors. If Tesla doesn't up their game, particularly with the interior and features, they are going to lose customers. For now they still have a bit of a monopoly on the high end electric vehicle market, but electric vehicle fans who don't actually get a paycheck from Tesla should encourage competition and constant improvement. As was my MS purchase, my next car will be the best car available for the money. It may be a Tesla Model 3. It may be a Porsche Mission E. Or it may be something that hasn't even been announced yet. But I can tell you it likely won't be a Model S unless it improves.

Having a car that goes 0-60 in under 2.5 seconds - missing from almost every other car manufacturer. The P100D is exactly .7 seconds short of going backward in time....

Autopilot - missing from every other car on the market. Half ass versions offered.

Never pay for gas again - missing from 99% of the market.

"I own a Tesla" - missing from every other car on the market.

Having a car that goes 0-60 in under 2.5 seconds - missing from almost every other car manufacturer.
This is the only feature you listed that couldn't also be said of a Model 3 for less than half the price of the SP100D. And who knows what the M3P will deliver. If Tesla doesn't start adding some of these luxury features to the MS there will be little justification for paying such a premium over the M3 or other electric vehicles coming to market.

Just to show you how smart the writer is they fall to mention the Model X as having self closing doors. He also leaves Telsa off as having cool fobs.

BSM is the must have from that list. It is inexcusable that a Tesla in 2018 doesn't have it.

I really wish that Tesla would have a HUD. I was honestly surprised when I found out they didn't offer it. In my opinion it adds safety to car and increases the time of your eyes on the road rather than looking down.

While I miss my massaging seats from my Audi, it should have been noted that it is a hard feature to get right in a car. The MB and BMW massaging seats suck. So is having a crappy feature better than not having it?

Tesla's upgraded sound system is good enough for a car and for the vast majority of sources people listen to.

At the end of the day, just like with anything in life, there are trade offs. There is no perfect car. And what one person calls perfect may be mediocre to someone else.
I don’t understand why more cars don’t have HUDs. It’s not that hard to implement.

If they made ICE vehicles pump their exhaust gasses out the front of their cars, instead of behind them, few would buy them.

They do not want to smell their own fumes, but are happy to send them out back toward the car behind them.

This applies even more to rude diesel owners.