Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNICK Tesla Ring wearers might be interested in this, especially if frustrated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a new MY owner, and a new CNICK Tesla Ring owner, I was thinking stupid user error when my ring always worked great at the inside console, but only usually worked on the door pillar. I started thinking I wasn't putting the ring in the right place on the door pillar. To find the sweet spot, I stuck a posted note on the door pillar, took off my ring, and traced the inside of the ring with blue where the ring worked to lock/unlock the door. To my surprise, I found two areas where it worked reliably, but also large areas where it did not work.
IMG_20220402_172350903_HDR[1].jpg

I tried again with the ring at a right angle to the door pillar, tracing the edge of the ring in red where it worked. On edge didn't work as well, but it did work in some places. I put the ring back on my finger, and found I could high five the pillar and unlock the car.
IMG_20220402_172750878_HDR[1].jpg

If you try to run this experiment yourself. I found that the car would let me unlock quickly after locking, but there is a delay before the car will let you lock again after unlocking. I needed to wait until I heard a relay click, or I needed to open and shut the door. I wish I had used a larger piece of paper for my experiment. However, I am very happy to have found some sweet spots.

I'm curious what you would find with your MS @EtherMN

My MS Plaid and cnick did not work well in the cold weather for some reason. Now that it started to warm up I noticed it locks and unlocks every time. Don't get me started on the inside because you have to be within 2mm on the "sweet spot" for it to recognize the key.

Reactions: B_E_V
You have entirely too much time on your hands
The MY is still a new toy, still wearing temporary tags. I hope to own it for more than a decade. Spending a little time now learning how to use it well seems worth my time. Especially in this case, because in one week I probably wasted more time trying to open the car with the ring than I spent running my experiment.

Creating this thread was from a selfish perspective not as good a use of my time. It took about the same amount of time as running the experiment. However, I believe in passing it forward. I've benefited from some informative posts on this site, so I try to pass it forward and share knowledge with others.

The MY is still a new toy, still wearing temporary tags. I hope to own it for more than a decade. Spending a little time now learning how to use it well seems worth my time. Especially in this case, because in one week I probably wasted more time trying to open the car with the ring than I spent running my experiment.

Creating this thread was from a selfish perspective not as good a use of my time. It took about the same amount of time as running the experiment. However, I believe in passing it forward. I've benefited from some informative posts on this site, so I try to pass it forward and share knowledge with others.
I appreciate you running this experiment. Good to know. We're still deciding on the rings. We normally have our phones, but sometimes I just want to run out to the car to get something and then it would be great. I appreciate everyone's comments. I love this group.

Use the don't-lock-at-home setting maybe
Personally, I felt compelled to turn that off when I started parking outside occasionally. Then I felt compelled to enable PIN-TO-DRIVE when I realized my phone was "Connected" to my Tesla when my phone was in my bedroom and the car was parked outside.

Yes I can turn off my phone's Bluetooth, but I use Bluetooth headphones at home fairly frequently. I really wish the Tesla app would let me temporarily disable the Bluetooth key functionality.

I mainly use the ring when I have forgotten to turn Bluetooth back on, when Bluetooth is being stubborn about connecting to the car, and most importantly when I am going kayaking and am leaving my phone locked in the car.