TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CNN article on how "In the future" your car may be able to be updated wirelessly?

Discussion in 'News' started by Zythryn, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

2. caddieo

caddieo Member

I can understand my rural Cracker neighbor not knowing about Tesla and it's technological innovations. But to have this in a reporter/writer for a prominent news network??? Give me a break!!! No wonder a lot of news programs are not worth listening to or should be listened to with discrimination, regardless of their orientation. :crying:

3. ColinM

ColinM Member

I am also surprised by the glass half-full view of getting updates to your car. A constantly improving car and all the article can focus on is the negatives.

4. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Wow, that might be one of the shallowest, least informed (non-entertainment) articles I've ever read on a major website.

Makes you wonder when you read stuff like this on topics of which you have better than average knowledge. What other kind of crap am I accepting as news? Who knows what's really going on in Ukraine, etc?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I emailed the author...just a pitiful excuse for an article.

6. mchk

mchk Member

I emailed the author as well:

Dear Jose,

I read your article about software updates. I’m glad you are letting the masses know that is the future, but you do realize…It’s ALREADY HERE.

Tesla cars have been doing this for a couple of years. As I read the article I was expecting to hear your research about Tesla and how the updates are going so far and how have drivers of those cars dealt with this issue?

But all I saw was speculation about the future, but no facts about what’s actually happening in the real world…TODAY.

Also from what I’ve heard, Tesla keeps a log for every single activity of the car. So you know how you hate it when you go to the Shop and say, “It was making this weird clunky sound….but it’s not now…” or just in general murphy’s law how a malfunctioning car acts PERFECT in front of the mechanic, like it’s teasing or mocking you?

Well that problem is solved, because Tesla keeps the log and can say, “Oh yes, here it is, it did that YESTERDAY, the logs show right before you opened the trunk.”

I’m hoping to see an updated version of your article to see how the software updates are going not in the future…but over the last couple years that Tesla’s have been on our roads.

7. pbleic

pbleic Member

The author is apparently well aware of Teslas. Several days ago, in an article on hacking your car and security, he wrote the following. Until we learn otherwise, let's be kind and. assume that he actually included Tesla in the article on wireless updates and his editor cut it because of article length.

"It should be no surprise that Tesla is ahead of the pack. The Model S is the most advanced and connected car currently available. It's worth noting the company's mature approach to addressing vulnerabilities. Instead of hunting down hackers who spot weaknesses, they reward them with an "Information Security" badge that works like a Willy Wonka golden ticket, granting exclusive access to Tesla's factory in Fremont, Calif. The company recently sent one to a British hacker who goes by Jon of Bitquark."

Your car is a giant computer - and it can be hacked - Jun. 1, 2014

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The article is only a few hundred words long and it is ON THE WEB. There are no "length" limitations.

There is NO EXCUSE for that pitiful excuse for an article not to accurately describe what Tesla Is doing with OTA updates.

9. theganjaguru

This is only further proof that CNN is not "news"
    The Colbert Curriculum: Stephen Colberts Viewers Know More Stuff About Things (Video)

There is a reason the audience for all MSM is on the decline. People are starting to see through the vapid lies and misinformation... Next story: One Day You Might Be Able To Charge an Electric Car in 30 Min or Less...

10. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

In a strange coincidence, there was a recent episode of CNET's "On Cars" that focused on the benefits of 4G in the car. Number 3 on their top-5 list of benefits was OTA updates to vehicle software. "But," they lamented, "no automakers are doing it yet." :scared: Perhaps they have the same attitude toward researching a topic as CNN appears to.