Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNN denouncing FSD and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread needs to be verified and corrected if wrong. If this is an advertisement, which it sounds like then it has NOTHING to do with CNN or any other network. Hard to believe the OP is conflating and combining advertisements with network produced content. Guess ABC is promoting hemorrhoids since they have Preparation-H ads.
I mean, CNN does have the ability to decide when to show an ad, or to not show it at all. Although they do appear to suck at that in a humorous way:

• Funny
Reactions: MitchMitch
Yes, you can, as shown in the provided videos in the link above. This is FSD Beta 10.12 FYI.
Got you now i was looking at the wrong link.

looks like they have it on with the pilons for AP so it can hold a speed and straight line. Then kicks out as/just before it hits the mannequin. I am guessing that it will not allow me to take a trip around the track only in that conned space.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
if all of it does work could I get in a Plaid with FSD and have it take me on a loop of the Nurburgring? cause that would be scary awesome

I am guessing that it will not allow me to take a trip around the track only in that conned space
Yeah probably not. I assume they added cones because it wouldn’t engage otherwise. Though hard to know. Not sure exactly what is different about the track than an unmarked residential road (other than map information).

Anyway, everything is contrived to get the desired result (such a situation would never defeat a human). It’s like working out the way to trick an NPC. Once you know the trick it works most of the time.

Of course it will also sometimes fail in non-contrived scenarios!
Another way to think about this is the huge % improvement (not sure how they define that, but will gloss over that detail) in VRU detections, mentioned in release notes, for example for 10.11, as they add training data (actually claimed to reduce false positives in this case, but argument still holds). That implies at a minimum that prior versions were missing large numbers of identifications- and it is likely that there are many cases still not detected. These mannequins probably fall into that category after sufficient bundling up.

The question is: can the neural net ever be good enough at identifications? How reliable can it be? I don’t know.

Just to add to my above post:

The ad includes a short clip showing a failed engagement of FSD Beta. (This implies they most likely did way more than three tests, BTW, though it is possible the driver subsequently re-engaged before impact). But the full clip linked in my post above shows that until at least just before impact, FSD Beta was engaged in all three of the cases that failed (out of how many attempts we will never know).

Whole Mars is on the case!
This all seems so silly. It’s beta. It will run into children in some cases which is why it requires a safety driver.
It’s unfortunate that the news media is so bad at what they do. In this case, Electrek did a really bad job, publishing obviously false information. Come to TMC for the truth!

This could be the end for Whole Mars though. 😢

Whole Mars is on the case!
This all seems so silly. It’s beta. It will run into children in some cases which is why it requires a safety driver.
The truther videos from Tesla drivers with simulated children on real streets make me sad. They think that if the car reacts and stops for the child every time on 100 tests that that is good enough. 😢

It is very good for a background safety system, of course. The truthers should have tried the same tests with FSD Beta disengaged.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
This is clearly false, not even just "misleading". Driver's hands are off the wheel (and moving away), FSD is clearly not engaged yet the video claims "Actual Full Self-Driving Mode" in this clip. Presenter then asks viewers to take political action, it's over 250k views just on this one video, not including twitter, other social media, and TV spots. Damage is already done.

In my opinion Tesla needs to sue.

1660166147480.png

FSD is clearly not engaged yet the video claims "Actual Full Self-Driving Mode" in this clip.
Please read this thread. And try not to believe what you read in the media. Here is the full video.

Certainly that particular clip was a false representation, but likely was an editing error by someone unaware of how the system operates.

This was FSD Beta 10.12.

And of course it will fail!!! Everyone knows that…I think. It’s not anywhere near human-level safety, so the FSD Beta requires a safety driver.

Last edited:
Please read this thread. And try not to believe what you read in the media. Here is the full video.

Certainly that particular clip was a false representation, but likely was an editing error.

This was FSD Beta 10.12.

And of course it will fail!!! Everyone knows that…I think. It’s not anywhere near human-level safety, so the FSD Beta requires a safety driver.

Uh, I did read this thread, did you?

"Driver's hands are off the wheel (and moving away), FSD is clearly not engaged ... in this clip."

All the viewers see are the impacts but no proof and then the one proof that is provided (in this mass distributed video) is false.

Last edited: