TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CNN Money interview with Elon

Discussion in 'Video' started by immel5, Nov 1, 2011.

1. immel5

immel5 Member

2. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

At 0:59 Elon says the Model S will have a drag co-efficient of "point 22". :biggrin:.

3. Tommy

Tommy Member

Some interesting tidbits from the interview: Elon mentions a .22 cd for the car and the interviewer states something about being slippery as a fish. Elon also mentions the price points range from $50k to $100K fully optioned out. Elon didn't have music playing in the background, I could really "hear" how quiet the car is. Maybe the guy in back does double duty as Elon's bodyguard (joking of course)

4. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

For those who have already seen the CNNMoney video "Tesla CEO personally guarantees payback", this isn't the same video, and very interesting.

I think for the cd value we heard 0.27 so far. 0.22 would be an improvment of 18.5 %. :)

5. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Elon also said that the price range goes from $50k to "about $100k". I think that's the first time I've heard that. I'm assuming that's probably a bit more than $100k, and includes a fully loaded Sport model, 300 mile, every option (pano roof, air suspension etc.).

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Well if 300 mile is about 77k, and the assumption is that sport will be 10kish, that leaves about 12kish for other options like pano roof, manually adjustable suspension etc. still too vague to really play with the numbers though.

Someone said they were expecting numbers by the end of the year, is that confirmed? At the event we were told winter 2012, but I'm still not sure if they mean December or December through late February for that time frame.

7. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yeah, I think it's every option except Sport. We'll see.

.22Cd?! .22Cd! Wow! It is a frickin' fish! :smile:

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I wish they'd use Cd*A instead of Cd alone as the figure of merit. Cd by itself isn't particularly useful and in fact it's difficult to measure directly.
    So I'd rather Cd*A, maybe even Fd/v^2 at sea level.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Just like they use simple "Megapixels" to identify a camera's specs instead of the sensor and all the other things that go into a great picture. It's simpler for the public.

10. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

What does "Fd/v^2" mean? I googled it, but I didn't get anything.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Actually, he says the car starts at 50k and goes up to 100k, so we'd have to assume he's talking post-rebate. So we can configure up to about 110k

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#12 TEG, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
    Maybe this helps?
    Drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Automotive aerodynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I think Doug was suggesting making apples to apples assuming sea level so variable air density doesn't have to be left in the equation.

13. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

14. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Fd/v whatever. .22! The thing's a frickin' fish! :biggrin:

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

in "official" tests, do they use the same params?

17. richkae

richkae VIN587

Several of the ECO 2000 prototypes pictured have no side mirrors. The Chrysler one looks like it has tiny stub side mirrors.
    I wish the government regs would join the 21st century and allow cameras instead of side mirrors.

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

19. Jkam

Jkam Member

The thing I found interesting is Musk mentions that functions on the center screen will not be locked out while driving (i.e. can surf the net while driving) which caused the interviewer to cringe a little. Further Musk talks about emphasis on voice interface which allow you to go to a website or dictate an email.

I know the argument of the center screen being a distraction while driving, but at the same time if the passenger wants to do stuff on the screen I have no problem.

Having a screen like that and locking out functions just doesn't make sense...might as well not even have the screen. So I agree that Tesla shouldn't lock out functions.

20. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I agree Jkam and I'm sure Elon is trying his best to keep it unlocked. But we're talking about the same bureaucratic clowns that are forcing noise generators on us.