TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CNN Money - "Tesla's US Sales May be Cooling Off"

Discussion in 'News' started by claytorj, May 7, 2014.

1. claytorj

claytorj Member

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Random speculation with no facts to back it up. Headline fishing.

3. NuclearPowered

What was the initial source of this US deliveries = US demand nonsense? Did it all stem from Paulo Santo's trash on SA?

4. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

Such a nonsense article. No proof. Just wanting to stir up some page views.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I did love the line from the White House Correspondents Dinner

6. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

One of the unintended consequences of news media being largely "free" is that many news outlets rely on getting as many pageviews as possible in order to generate ad revenue. There's consequently a perverse incentive to create clickbait with inflammatory or dishonest headlines. As a result I try to get my news from public media and nonprofit organizations, but I don't think the larger public realizes what is going on.

7. green1

green1 Active Member

In the earnings call today they hit that one head on. They stated flat out that demand in the US is increasing. (As speculated here and elsewhere, decreased deliveries in the US is because of the supply constraint, and the fact that they can't deliver the same car in two different parts of the world at the same time...)

8. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

The word "may" ushers in speculation.

9. Mobster

Mobster Member

For me, it's now like not being able to look away from a bad wreck. Looking at CNN from time to time to witness the absolute nonsense (TV and online) they shovel. When I was younger I spent some time in broadcasting and graduated from a broadcasting school (went on to a different career eventually), and getting who, what, where, when, why, and how, ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE , was pounded into us. These bozos are really a disgrace to anything that represents themselves as "news" providers. bah.

10. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

This may not be all that wrong. Not long ago people in the US were waiting up to 10 weeks for delivery from ordering, now its as low as 4 weeks.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Tesla has been production constrained for some time so sales numbers and times can be all over the place. Recently, unless you're ordering a P85+ there's been a jump in waiting time as production has begun for China and RHD markets.

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Tesla's production is also higher than a year ago so it's also possible demand has simply stayed steady but they've caught up.

13. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

7.5 weeks for my order.

14. roblab

roblab Active Member

Yesterday my friend ordered his Model S: Delivery Date is quoted as "end of September". That is 17 weeks. So what happened? How can it go from 7.5 weeks to 17 weeks in a couple days??

And how do any of these numbers, guesses, reporter stories, add up to a "leveling off" of orders, or a slump for Tesla?

I think nobody knows, least of all these financial advice companies. Motley Fool comes to mind.

15. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Don't forget there is a shutdown in July and the initial surge of 2 years worth of back orders for RHD cars.

16. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Well, it isn't exactly a "couple days". I confirmed my order on April 7th.

And as Lerxt pointed out, there is a 2-week manufacturing shutdown coming up in July for retooling. Doesn't explain the entire difference, but some for sure. Is your friend in the US?

17. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

As far as I've been able to tell:

1. There is the factory closing holiday.

2. They are built in batches, so sometimes you get lucky.

3. The more options, the quicker. (funny how that works)

18. rkruff

rkruff Member

I took my MS85 in for service and the valet said that they are only busy delivering cars one month each quarter. Basically, one month for US, one month for Europe, and one month for China. There is no demand issue whatsoever.

19. Dan43

Dan43 Member

20. Nichen

Nichen Member

Of course there are seasonal changes in demand/orders, just like with any other car. Summer "tend" to be a time for vacations and relaxation. Spring is the ultimate "buy a car" season. I bet the orders will go crazy again in autumn/winter. So far the demand seems pretty steady if you ask me even though it's now summer.