Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNN Money - "Tesla's US Sales May be Cooling Off"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the unintended consequences of news media being largely "free" is that many news outlets rely on getting as many pageviews as possible in order to generate ad revenue. There's consequently a perverse incentive to create clickbait with inflammatory or dishonest headlines. As a result I try to get my news from public media and nonprofit organizations, but I don't think the larger public realizes what is going on.

In the earnings call today they hit that one head on. They stated flat out that demand in the US is increasing. (As speculated here and elsewhere, decreased deliveries in the US is because of the supply constraint, and the fact that they can't deliver the same car in two different parts of the world at the same time...)

For me, it's now like not being able to look away from a bad wreck. Looking at CNN from time to time to witness the absolute nonsense (TV and online) they shovel. When I was younger I spent some time in broadcasting and graduated from a broadcasting school (went on to a different career eventually), and getting who, what, where, when, why, and how, ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE , was pounded into us. These bozos are really a disgrace to anything that represents themselves as "news" providers. bah.

This may not be all that wrong. Not long ago people in the US were waiting up to 10 weeks for delivery from ordering, now its as low as 4 weeks.

Tesla has been production constrained for some time so sales numbers and times can be all over the place. Recently, unless you're ordering a P85+ there's been a jump in waiting time as production has begun for China and RHD markets.

7.5 weeks for my order.

Yesterday my friend ordered his Model S: Delivery Date is quoted as "end of September". That is 17 weeks. So what happened? How can it go from 7.5 weeks to 17 weeks in a couple days??

And how do any of these numbers, guesses, reporter stories, add up to a "leveling off" of orders, or a slump for Tesla?

I think nobody knows, least of all these financial advice companies. Motley Fool comes to mind.

Yesterday my friend ordered his Model S: Delivery Date is quoted as "end of September". That is 17 weeks. So what happened? How can it go from 7.5 weeks to 17 weeks in a couple days??

And how do any of these numbers, guesses, reporter stories, add up to a "leveling off" of orders, or a slump for Tesla?

I think nobody knows, least of all these financial advice companies. Motley Fool comes to mind.
Well, it isn't exactly a "couple days". I confirmed my order on April 7th.

And as Lerxt pointed out, there is a 2-week manufacturing shutdown coming up in July for retooling. Doesn't explain the entire difference, but some for sure. Is your friend in the US?

As far as I've been able to tell:

1. There is the factory closing holiday.

2. They are built in batches, so sometimes you get lucky.

3. The more options, the quicker. (funny how that works)

I took my MS85 in for service and the valet said that they are only busy delivering cars one month each quarter. Basically, one month for US, one month for Europe, and one month for China. There is no demand issue whatsoever.

Of course there are seasonal changes in demand/orders, just like with any other car. Summer "tend" to be a time for vacations and relaxation. Spring is the ultimate "buy a car" season. I bet the orders will go crazy again in autumn/winter. So far the demand seems pretty steady if you ask me even though it's now summer.