Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNN Opinion: Reality check on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opinion: A reality check on Tesla - CNN.com
"it is time for a reality check — the Model S is hardly one point away from flawless."
"Giving a vehicle a near-perfect score is acceptable — and there will undoubtedly be others just as impressive — but assuming that one vehicle trumps others and satisfies all equally is misguided and presumptuous."

I suppose I agree with parts of that last statement: Model S won't satisfy all consumers.
I'm not sure why that bit of obviousness [the car costs > $50k] is worth an opinion piece, though.

Pretty useless article. He just has an issue with their rating system apparently, saying "No car currently manufactured deserves the coveted best car trophy, and that includes Consumer Reports' 99-point Tesla Model S."

In other words he thinks an absolute scale would be better than a relative one. But he somehow turns that into a negative for model S because it's not at some sci-fi do-everything level of absolute performance. This article is just some random collection of opinion points hyped up into nothing. Exactly what one expects of CNN.

He states in the article:
"Tesla plans to have a nationwide network of its so-called Supercharger stations within a couple of years. I don't need to remind anyone that gasoline for combustion vehicles is as readily available as pasteurized milk, and still less expensive."

... ummmm, gasoline for combustion vehicles... still less expensive? Huh? Wish he mentioned that Tesla Superchargers stations are free.

Last edited:
I was browsing USA Today online and it's shocking how many mentions of Tesla and Elon make it into articles. A story about Branson, Elon is mentioned. A story on short squeezes and Tesla comes up. The brand is red hot in the media right now.

I thought he meant less expensive than a gallon of milk?

You're absolutely right, I must've read it in a hurry and got it wrong - it's worded in a confusing manner - either way, that was a great place in the article to mention that Superchargers are free.

I've seen lots of articles leave that ever-important detail out.

Either way, with the stock hitting 111 in after hours trading, it doesn't look as if these critical/negative pieces are really hurting the stock... only fueling the shorts who in turn get squeezed and drive the price higher. And, as long as the general public that watches CNN (and can afford the Model S price) isn't confused or turned off by the charging options vs. gas station issues, hopefully they'll be attracted to the nearest Tesla store for a test-drive :cool:

I thought he meant less expensive than a gallon of milk?

So did I, but comparing to the cost of Supercharging or off-peak home electricity would be more meaningful than to milk. No car can drive very far on a gallon of milk.

If he had use single malt scotch, at least you could fill the tank of your E85 Suburban with it and maybe the engine could take it! :smile:

GSP