Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNN Out Front Out Take - Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunate comment... Charging time is not that important whe you can traver for 250 miles without recharging, or when you can recharge 150 miles in 30 minutes (3 hours driving, half hour recharging).

Yeah, it's just strange that Erin Burnett would close out the piece with that criticism - who doesn't stop at a rest stop to take a walk around, have a bite, and take a break from driving?

Nonetheless, I think Elon has plenty of surprises coming up in his pending announcements to rebut these types of concerns :wink:

Yeah, it's just strange that Erin Burnett would close out the piece with that criticism - who doesn't stop at a rest stop to take a walk around, have a bite, and take a break from driving?

Nonetheless, I think Elon has plenty of surprises coming up in his pending announcements to rebut these types of concerns :wink:

I think that this kind of unjustified criticism will cause an opposite effect in favour of Tesla.

She misunderstood her notes. The fact is that each stop took 30 minutes totaling an hour of charging time. Bottom line is you have to balance this against stopping to fill your tank going to the bathroom and food break which would be about 60 minutes.

Oh and by the way cost to charge the Tesla - Zero. Cost to fuel an ICE @ 20 mpg and $4.00 gas - $80.00.

How much is your time worth? 2 hours charging time vs $100 in gas.

$50/hour is not bad, IMHO.
Yea, that doesn't work very well because Tesla is already touting time saved at the pump on their "true cost of ownership" calculator, which is directly contradictory.

I don't personally mind the wait, I think it's at that tipping point of reasonable lengths of time to charge, which is a talking point Elon mentions when he talks about the ratio of driving to charging.

How much is your time worth? 2 hours charging time vs $100 in gas.

$50/hour is not bad, IMHO.

Fair math, but not needed.

The average consumer does about 13000 miles of inner-city driving per year ( < 200 miles per day), and 3000 miles of long road trips (let's call that 4 x 750 mile days - so it requires 1 charge-at-home/hotel + 3 stops on those days).

For a BMW M5, you'd have 47 gas station trips & stops at 10 minutes average, totaling ~8 hours per year.
For a Tesla Model S, you'd have 12 SC stops at 50 minutes each, totaling ~10 hours per year.

Except... for the BMW, the road trips stops won't actually just be 10 minutes. Let's not assume that the BMW owner eats in her car and wear adult diapers... so add 30 minutes per day for road trip days - which I think is a bare minimum. So overall the BMW is also back to 10 hours per year.

Just on pure stop-time the math works favorable for the Model S without even thinking about the gas cost. Subtracting the cost of gas is simply a nice $2500 per-year bonus.

Only if you in addition to that have something like a LA to Vegas trip once per month, do you need to start dividing up the $2500 into SC stop time.

Dear Erin, please note that I did that same drive twice this spring, and it required stopping for 25-28 minutes twice. While I might have considered, in my college days, strapping on a diaper and goings the 450 miles and 7-8 hours without stopping, here I favored two breaks to eat and use the facilities. I also saved 20 gallons of gas and $75 - each direction. And I drove on solar power the whole way. I can not begin to tell you how sweet it was. Okay, call me and I'll take you out for a test drive, okay? I went to school with your sisters and they wold LOVE this car, M for the speed and style and sheer beauty, L for its amazing Eco-quality and oil-busting disruptive tech. Ready when you are.