TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CNN: Why electric vehicles have stalled

Discussion in 'News' started by doug, Dec 4, 2008.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

So, Ian=many

3. graham

graham Active Member

Yeah, I thought the same thing after reading that article. The Wrightspeed is definitely changing direction and the other 3 listed are making minor changes to their products and time schedules, but I wouldn't say that any of them are particularly changing direction.

4. doug

Yeah it's a typical CNN article.

5. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

Quote:

"In a 180-degree turn from where his company, Wrightspeed, was a year ago, Wright has completely abandoned the concept of bringing an electric car to market. Instead, while he waits for the electric vehicle market to mature, Wright is focusing on a more lucrative venture: Wrightspeed will make and sell electric powertrains - the battery pack, software, and other components that generate power to a vehicle - to existing car and truck manufacturers."

I thought that the drive train and battery pack in the X1 were from ACP, so how does Ian turn selling them into a business, without violating ACP's intellectual property? Has he developed his own technology?

6. domenick

domenick Nerd

"So far this year, Tesla has received 1,200 orders for its Roadster but shipped only 50"

They had shipped 70 several weeks ago. Not sure what else is wrong with this article but it seems like a headline looking for a story.

7. Joseph

Joseph Member

Chris, you're right. ACP does provide the tech for the Wrightspeed X1.

This whole article is just sensationalist reporting.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Another thing I thought too. Maybe he will package and market beter than ACP. Their new website is much better but they need a decent mechanism for selling.

They are near 100. We are back to the "only" question. When will it be enough? Only 100 have been shipped. 'Only" 200, "only" "500"?

Passing Tucker has to mean something.

9. doug

#9 doug, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
    DailyTech - Electric Car Sales in Freefall; Industry Risks Collapse
    9803_9801_lat_zap.jpg

Grim sales outlook??? :confused: I'm pretty sure demand outstrips supply at this point.

10. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Selfishly, when I have mine ;-).

But seriously, I think getting to cash flow positive is the next key mark.

11. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

This begs my long question as to why they do not post these numbers. Will they at least do a big PR release for Sig 100's delivered ? Why not allow us to see the numbers climb. All this bad publicity of very few cars incorrectly reported would be negated by a CURRENT little number on the web site. But then again what journalists actually fact check these days anyway ...

12. graham

graham Active Member

I still imagine it has to do with worrying that this would point out (and the press would more dwell on) delays over successes ongoing. Hopefully they will press release the 100 Roadster milestone, but I imagine they still are too inconsistent with their delivery numbers from week to week to want to publish them real-time.