Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CO--> CA. Model 3 dual motor tire question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 Model 3. Dual motor. 25,500 miles.

Moving from CO to SoCal and at 25,500 miles, Discount Tires is telling me I can not rotate my tires again but need new ones.

Is it ok to let go of all season tires and get the incredible Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? I have 18" wheels.

I have researched summer tires on here and youtube and everyone seems to think they are the best.

Moving from CO to SoCal and at 25,500 miles, Discount Tires is telling me I can not rotate my tires again but need new ones.

Is it ok to let go of all season tires and get the incredible Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? I have 18" wheels.

I have researched summer tires on here and youtube and everyone seems to think they are the best.

I dont know where in southern california you are moving to... but with that being said, I have been driving on summer tires in here on both my and my wifes cars year round, for at least the past 12 years straight.

I have had the PS4S tires on my model 3 since I took delivery of it, Dec of 2018. They are great "Wet" tires, and where I live, its never below 40 degrees for any length of time.

If you are moving to a regular city, and not into the mountains somewhere, you should be fine.

Reactions: Pommie
It may be that the tyre tread depth due to wear and tear - it may have gone below the safety limits. Tyre shops do not want to deal with any associated liability while handling a tyre which is not compliant with the prevailing safety standards. .

I have the 18 inch 4S tires. They are incredible. Get them.

I dont know where in southern california you are moving to... but with that being said, I have been driving on summer tires in here on both my and my wifes cars year round, for at least the past 12 years straight.

I have had the PS4S tires on my model 3 since I took delivery of it, Dec of 2018. They are great "Wet" tires, and where I live, its never below 40 degrees for any length of time.

If you are moving to a regular city, and not into the mountains somewhere, you should be fine.
Looking at Oceanside. Def no snow.

I switched from the MXM4 tires to PS 4S tires on my Model 3 with the 18s.

To be honest, I was underwhelmed. The 4S summer tires seemed slightly quieter than the MXM4s but I didn't notice the difference in feel or handling that I was expecting. Maybe that's because aside from putting the hammer down at the occasional stoplight I didn't push the car very hard. Maybe it's because 18s just aren't going to feel very sporty. Maybe it's because the stock Model 3 suspension is just so-so. Whatever the reason I didn't find them to be worth the loss of traction below 40 degrees nor worth the loss of about 5%+ of range.

Next time I'm going to try the Vredestein Quatrac Pros and see if I can get the best of both worlds.

@CarlThompson Well you'll only notice added grip if you were approaching the old tire's limits before...

General firmness especially sidewall firmness is another story. I recall the MXM4 feeling pretty soft and squishy in 245/45R19 on my S, very comfort-focused (I didn't like them ;)), but maybe I'm confusing them for a different Michelin all-season. I would've expected the PS4S to at least feel stiffer and more responsive than the MXM4 even when not driving hard. I've yet to try the PS4S though, I was going to in 245/45R18 on my 3 and they were backordered everywhere, ended up going with a different summer performance tire (that I've been super happy with, but I can't make a comparison with the PS4S).

Exactly which tire sizes are you comparing btw? And what tire pressures are/were you using on each?

I would've expected the PS4S to at least feel stiffer and more responsive than the MXM4 even when not driving hard. I've yet to try the PS4S though

Yeah, that's what I was expecting too but it really didn't feel much different than the MXM4s on my car.

The very first Model 3s in 2017 (the first few thousand or so) had a different suspension that felt much, MUCH better. I was fortunate enough to have had an extended test drive in one of those cars with the 19s and the PS4S tires and the steering and handling was incredibly sharp and precise. If felt as good as what you'd get on a BMW M. My March 2018 Model 3 had the new worse suspension and 18s and the steering and handling was not nearly as good and it just felt OK. That's not to say it was bad but it wasn't as awesome as the first cars were.

So when I'd worn out the tread in my MXM4s I replaced them with the PS4S tires (still on my 18s though) hoping to capture some of that great feel from those first Model 3s. But any improvement wasn't noticeable to me except that they seemed a little quieter. Maybe if I'd switched to 19s I'd have noticed a difference.

Both sets of tires were 235/45R18s (8.5) running at 40-44 psi.

My experience is different. I had PS4s on 20 inch for about 23k miles. It was harsh and the pot-holes weren't very nice on the tires and had to get them repaired a couple times. Switched to 18 inch and the ride quality improved but you lost a little precision...the positives greatly outweighed the negatives though as the only time i noticed was during canyon carving. In all other situations, the 18s with the PS4s were better. I test drove the regular 18s with the MXM4s and though those tires were bad. Completely different experience.

The OP should absolutely switch to the PS4S vs. the terrible MXM4s.

• Informative
Reactions: Pommie and tm1v2
Looking at Oceanside. Def no snow.
Definitely max summers unless you ever plan to go to big bear or mammoth, then all seasons + chains/socks. You would not want to even try going up that way on max summers when there's snow on the ground. If you're not a skiier than max summers ftw.
Thanks for all the feedback. Costco is having a deal on them thru Jan 31 so I went ahead and bought them.
Nice. I love costco for michelins.

I switched from the MXM4 tires to PS 4S tires on my Model 3 with the 18s.

To be honest, I was underwhelmed. The 4S summer tires seemed slightly quieter than the MXM4s but I didn't notice the difference in feel or handling that I was expecting. Maybe that's because aside from putting the hammer down at the occasional stoplight I didn't push the car very hard. Maybe it's because 18s just aren't going to feel very sporty. Maybe it's because the stock Model 3 suspension is just so-so. Whatever the reason I didn't find them to be worth the loss of traction below 40 degrees nor worth the loss of about 5%+ of range.

Next time I'm going to try the Vredestein Quatrac Pros and see if I can get the best of both worlds.
Oh interesting. Well I have not had them installed yet-just ordered-so I will give this more thought.