Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CO EV Tax Credit question (Income 67)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a question about the "Income 67" state EV credit of up to $6,000.

Has anyone purchased the vehicle in another state, moved to Colorado, registered it, and been able to get the credit? In reading the documentation, I haven't found anything that says otherwise, but my credit was turned down.

My tax guy (AZ-based) seems to think the best way to get some of the value of the credit is to sell the vehicle in CO, and inform the buyer/dealer that the credit is available on it.

Thoughts?

Based on what the law says right now, you should be able to (assuming the car has never been registered in Colorado). That is, however, right now. It appears that they just passed an amendment to the bill that will, among other thing, disqualify any used vehicles. That shouldn't go into effect until next year, so perhaps there was some confusion. Perhaps you can appeal?

Well, I finally spoke to someone at the department of revenue. Because the car was purchased in a year previous to the 2015 tax year, it's not eligible for the refund.

If I sell it in Colorado, the buyer will be eligible for the credit. Hoping I can unlock some of that value upon resale.

• Informative
Reactions: vtvox
That's the $6000 question :)

From what I've read, it's not specified. When DMV charges its yearly fees, they base it on fair market value, to prevent shenanigans with sale price. I would think that also applies to EV credit, but can't be sure. Something for the OP to research with Dept of Revenue...