TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Co-pilot Mobile App for Tesla (beta)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Co-pilot Jeff, Apr 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Co-pilot Jeff

Co-pilot Jeff Member

Hello Everyone,

We're developing an exciting new community-based mobile app geared towards making Autopilot (Autosteer) even safer and more enjoyable to use!

While driving with the app, you'll be able to see how frequently the road you're on has been Autopiloted and alerted if a fellow driver has indicated there's a spot ahead where using Autosteer is sketchy or should be avoided. Additionally, you'll be able to see detailed stats and graphs about your drives.

If you're interested in helping beta test our iOS Co-pilot App, we're looking for some volunteers to help try out the app, lay down some autosteer lines, and flag up autosteer problem areas you've encountered. (Android users - sorry, we don't have the Android version ready just quite yet, but you can still sign up and we'll notify you when it's available.)

You can learn more and sign up on our website here, or contact me directly at [email protected]

Thanks!

copilotApp.png copilotMapLight.png

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  2. gopassgas

gopassgas Member

Sounds interesting! I just signed up. Thank you!

3. Joe F

Joe F Member

How does that help transient AS errors, like shadows here today, gone tomorrow if not gone in a few hours? Trucks which cast shadows that tend to give AP2 AS fits at times? I like that idea, but it seems there are, in my limited TACC/AS use to date, external variables that might render this app problematic.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Kind of like the "police reported ahead" Waze thing, where people (wrongly) report moving police cars...

4. oktane

oktane Active Member

Great idea. Are users supposed to rate where AP required manual intervention only, or also where it "scared" them? Thx

5. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Integrate it with Waze and then it becomes the perfect app :)

6. googleiscoul

googleiscoul Member

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I would love to try this out. I signed up. It looks like a lot of fun. I live in a rural mountainous area and commute to moderate city streets. I hope I can add some useful data for the outlier roads outside of the metropolises like the the Silicon Valley.

8. Co-pilot Jeff

Co-pilot Jeff Member

Hi Joe,
    You're absolutely right that many factors can contribute to AS errors for one driver which may not be a problem for another - environmental (lighting, wet vs. dry roads, speed, etc.) , vehicle type (S, X), hardware ( AP1, AP2), software versions. Our thought is to start out with the easy stuff and identify roads where any configuration will fail. We feel just having this basic information would be of tremendous safety value. Using the current thumbs up/down approach, a reported AS failure that's too specific (shadows/sun glare during sunset) would likely be weeded out. As we get more data, we'll identify these patterns and test the best ways to hide/surface warnings that need certain preconditions met. Lots of work for us to get right, but we're up for the challenge!

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. Co-pilot Jeff

Co-pilot Jeff Member

Hi oktane,

Thanks for the interest. Currently, the app keeps track of the moment when you drop out of AP (which would require manual intervention), and automatically drops a marker at that point (denoted by the gray steering wheel between the blue AS line, and the gray non-AS line, in the attached screenshot). The driver can then tap on the gray steering wheels when it's safe to do so, or after they've parked, to mark all the problem areas. We want to keep these points as accurate as possible, so we haven't incorporated things like adding markers via long-press.

The app currently has 2 types of markers - one for "Don't use - Autosteer fails", and one for "Caution using Autosteer". The latter matches the situation where the driver took the car out of AP because it 'scared' them (e.g. the road narrows so the curb is 6in away from the vehicle - AP may working, but I probably won't be able to recover in time if it doesn't, so let's not risk it here). Definitely will be interested to hear beta feedback as to how useful these types are and if it makes sense to add additional marker types.

Attached Files:

10. ABVA

ABVA Member

Thanks for doing this great service to the community. I just signed up at the website and awaiting response.

11. ABVA

ABVA Member

Got it today. Installed on my iPhone. Looking forward to contributing

12. Co-pilot Jeff

Co-pilot Jeff Member

Hi All!

We're excited to announce that the Co-pilot for Tesla app for iOS is now available in the Apple Appstore!

As such, the beta program is closed, and we've started a thread for the official app - here.

We hope you have a chance to download the app and join the Co-pilot community in making semi-autonomous driving safer for all!